Unable to playback DVD film with IDE DVDplayer

carlos 18:57 25 Sep 03

Related to earlier recent threads of mine. Be most grateful for any pointers: bought a BTC multi R/RW DVD IDE player( DRW10041M). Won't playback DVD films. I use Intervideo's WinDVD ( no problems with my DVDrom if I substitute it). I get intermittent sound and the video only shows occassional frames then freezes after 5mins. Interestingly, when I first installed it, the first video played perfectly....then on second play developed above problem..... Irrespective of DVD film. It plays VCDs with no problems,also music is fine. Same problem if I put it into another PC ( would make sense if the initial PC had "corrupted" the DVD player, as the shop is stating). Got 1GHz Athlon, 512Mb RAM, SCSI HD Ultra 160 running off 29160 card, NvideaGforce2MX graphics card( swapped it with a Rage Pro but didn't make any diff.) and WinXP Home. Also have Firewire and USB2 PCI cards installed. Please help!

carlos 19:16 25 Sep 03

I took the first one back and they replaced it. They are now saying that it's my system that's corrupting the DVD player. Cost me £140 so am desperate to establish whether or not there's something on my system( works very well on everything else)that could possibly cause this defect.

BarryKeith 19:24 25 Sep 03

Try reinstalling the software that came with the DVD player, it may have become corrupted or damaged. If you still have problems, obtain a DVD codec and see if that fixes it.

carlos 19:33 25 Sep 03

I have reinstalled WinDVD. If I replace the BTC drive with my samsung combo, then insert a film, any film , it plays with no problems. I take out the combo and put in the BTC......same problems. I have also used the software that came with the BTC and had exactly the same problem. Any more suggestions would be hungrily read.
Cheers.

mark500 20:02 25 Sep 03

If you are using model BCO4016IM then there is a new firmare.click here

BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOU DO IT.Bad flashing can destroy a drive.

carlos 20:25 25 Sep 03

DRW10041M...that's the model. I went to the BTC site and they have a firmware update! Yo! BUT downloaded it and executed........got a box telling me I didn't have the correct model.....?????Back to the beginning. lol ( weeping and sobbing)Thanks again, mark500

carlos 20:27 25 Sep 03

I've never heard of them before.....are they like MITAC..a generic ?

Rtus 20:28 25 Sep 03

if the Intervideo's WinDVD was bundled with the original DVDrom .then its likely you'll have to remove that too .there should be a dvd supplied along with the combo drive.I think youll find like other bundled software its firmware locked .As is the case with Nero ..Also note if its Cdrw/dvd combo drive its better to allocate a Ide channel to it itself as master(not shared with other drives)depending on the set-up /combination of other hardware & software..

Rtus 20:35 25 Sep 03

if the Intervideo's WinDVD was bundled with the original DVDrom .then its likely you'll have to remove that too .there should be a dvd player software supplied along with the combo drive.I think youll find like other bundled software its firmware locked .As is the case with Nero ..Also note if its Cdrw/dvd combo drive its better to allocate a Ide channel to it itself as master(not shared with other drives)depending on the set-up /combination of other hardware & software..

carlos 11:46 26 Sep 03

sorry for delayed response....got PC lag after trying to get the player to play DVDs, with no success, after a day. I originally used the bundled DVD software player...didn't work. Uninstalled it then used WinDVD, which works well with films on all my Pcs and laptop. I initially put the player as master on the sec IDE with the CDRW as slave. Then tried it alone, still no success. The fact that it plays VCDs, will burn DVDs and CDs but won't play DVD films( region 2- no funny business) is puzzling. The shop tells me I have corrupted the drive...is that possible??? ( I havn't installed any firmware updates...just tried to use as is

Rtus 22:23 26 Sep 03

check your control panel to ensure only the current software is there and not remnants of original trys.. I would say something from ts past loading is still on the machine locking the drive to other software not allowing it to activate .another thought is have you selected the DVD drive under its present address in DVD software? as if pointed at the wrong one !..If you have a spare HD (removing your current one & keep safe)set it up afresh with O/S then add the DVD software see if it then works ok? another option is if youve cloned the hd with drive image: you could play by reinstalling afresh with XP (As if new installation)Add the required drivers & try the Xp DVD player It may just work ..( im sure XP It has its own DVDplayer software But I could be wrong)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac