Unable to Ping

Mr T 12:27 03 Nov 03

Recently went on to BroadBand,yesterday was unable to pick up e-mails, or do live updates with various programs, when I try to ping any address I get the error 65. Any suggestions please, can access web pages and view e-mails via click here ok but not via any email program I use.
Thanks for any suggestions.

spikeychris 12:32 03 Nov 03

From M$

This behavior can occur if the following conditions are true:
The Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) feature is enabled.

-and-
Firewall software from Zone Labs such as ZoneAlarm or ZoneAlarm Pro is installed on the computer.

-and-
The ZoneLabs program is not correctly configured for ICS.

spikeychris 12:34 03 Nov 03

Reducing the security level in ZoneAlarm may do the
trick.

Mr T 12:55 03 Nov 03

Thanks for reply, zone alrms is not in use, am using Sygate pro firewall, but have switched it off and still same problem. My ISP says they are having problems with Broadband traffic, some have slow loading web pages at varying times, mine has had this but all ok now, only unable to ping. I am using XP Home Edition, have set my IE6 back to defaults and checked my modem properties can not find anything obvious

spikeychris 13:04 03 Nov 03

Can you ping 127.0.0.1

Mr T 13:05 03 Nov 03

Yes I can, why and where is that ?

spikeychris 13:10 03 Nov 03

Thats your local host so all is well at your end. Whats under the startup tab in msconfig?

Mr T 13:14 03 Nov 03

Have got about a dozen items there ,antivirus,speaker, mouse driver, all usual items, should there be something special there ?

spikeychris 13:17 03 Nov 03

Is there anything re: firewalls

Mr T 13:19 03 Nov 03

Yes, have taken out and will reboot, may take few minutes to get back online, thanks for your time.

Mr T 13:33 03 Nov 03

Have rebooted and done ping to my ISP 194.168.4.100 4 packets sent , none rx, 4 lost, did not show error 65, still unable to get email from servers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…