Unable to open Word Docs

Jasper1973 16:33 16 Oct 07

I use Office 2000 on XP and recently I have not beed able to open Word docs.
It attempts to open the file, the template appears and the Word program image appears in the centre of the screen but then it simply closes with no errors at all.
I am unable to open any Word docs, but I can view them in Wordpad.
I have uninstalled Office and re-installed twice now with no diffence.

Anyone see this one before?

Cheers

Totally-braindead 18:09 16 Oct 07

Are you sure the problem is Word? I would say that if you have reinstalled Office twice it kind of eliminates Word being the problem and looks more like the problem is with the file itself.

Have you been able to try the file you are talking about on another PC?

Have you checked what sort of file it is IE if you right click it and go to properties what sort of a file does it say it is?

Terry Brown 18:59 16 Oct 07

It looks as if your have either changed the properties in word ,try 'open with', and if this works use as default, or you are trying to open a scanned document, which is a jpeg -tiff or similar format.
Terry

DieSse 19:07 16 Oct 07

The commonest problem with word that causes all types of "funnies" that a re-install doesn't cure - is when the normal.dot template gets corrupted.

Do a search for normal.dot - rename each occurrence of it normal.aaa - then re-open Word. It'll automatically recreate normal.dot, and with luck it may be OK.

Jasper1973 09:21 17 Oct 07

Thanks guys, but I cannot even open Word as a programme so the document being corrupt is not the problem. I have been able to open one of the docs on another PC.
Also a search does not find any normal.dot files - so I have drawn a blank there too!!

Thanks

DieSse 09:39 17 Oct 07

normal.dot may be a hidden file - and/or you may be doing a restricted search - try widening the search parameters.

I can assure you that you do have a normal.dot file - Word won't operate without one - it's the template for a blank document!

silverous 10:19 17 Oct 07

This is just about the best reference for word problems like this:

click here

let us know how you get on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…