Unable to open WORD

angelico 14:56 16 Jan 04

I run an ELEONEX WEBRIDER delivered Dec 99. Pentium 3 500 MHx, 128MB, Works Suite 97. In Aug 03, Office Prof 97 was installed.(Works Suite not touched).
Few days ago, for the first time, I experienced a problem. It became impossible to get WORD to appear. Pressing the various possible buttons all result simply in a quick flash of the WORD emblem and no more.
I updated Norton A-V and ran a scan; all clear.
Has anyone heard of this WORD problem, and its solution? I wonder if there are any conflicts between the two WORD 97s and/or OFFICE and WORKS SUITE.
Grateful for any advice, Angelico

VoG II 16:22 16 Jan 04

Possibly a corrupt document template. Do a search for NORMAL.DOT - you will need to use the option to show hidden files and folders.

Rename it to ABNORMAL.DOT then try starting Word.

TBH1 16:29 16 Jan 04

I had / have something very similar - will check again tonight when I get home. I noticed that when I opened word, it would appear to open, but wouldn't. However, when double-clicking a word document it would open, then I would select file/new from there.

angelico 18:20 16 Jan 04

To complete the details of my machine; it has Windows 98SE.
Thankyou to VoG. I tried FIND but Normal.dot declined to be re-named. I'm not very comp. literate so not aware where I see the option you mention.
Thanks too to TBH1. How did you get to word docs, pse? I can't do even that.
Since posting my problem, I thought a re-instal might be worth trying. I have tried "Add/Remove" for WORD 97 and OFFICE. In both cases, I got suspicious because a request for the disc appeared. Unnecessary in the case of other working programs which I tried. Sure enough, when a disk was inserted, installation took place.

VoG II 18:38 16 Jan 04

Right click normal.dot and select Rename from the pop-up menu.

BillEmm 21:40 16 Jan 04

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…