Unable to open My Computer

Colio 10:32 02 Mar 04

Hi,

XP Home Edition

The PC will start and get to the desktop but will not allow you to My Computer or The Control Panel. When you double click either it re-starts the explorer.exe.

It looks as if there was a number of Windows
Updates installed via the Windows Auto Updater using an AOL Broadband connection, before this problem arouse.

Is there any fixes for this or is a re-install required.

Thanks

Colio

Diodorus Siculus 10:47 02 Mar 04

One option that might work:

Go to

start

and then

run

type in

sfc /scannow

and click Run.

You will need the XP CD.

Colio 11:03 02 Mar 04

Sorry I didn't mention-But when I tried that it kept asking for a CD with SP1 for XP Pro.

Is there any other way of getting to the Windows Uninstaller (Add Remove Program) I feel if I can uninstall the Win Updates and start again this will get me back to a workable position.

Regards

Colio

MichelleC 12:52 02 Mar 04

Have you sp1 installed? If so and sfc doesn't work you may have to do a repair click here

Jester2K 12:54 02 Mar 04

"But when I tried that it kept asking for a CD with SP1 for XP Pro"

Keep clicking OK - eventually it might ask for the Whislter CD too - some sort of bug in SFC in XP. Still works though.

Colio 16:09 02 Mar 04

Thanks for the link-very helpful, have printed a copy.

Regards

Colio

Colio 16:16 02 Mar 04

Tried and it failed to make any significant changes.

I think that one or maybe two of the updates that she installed may have preceded the SP1 update and I am going to try and re-install this first.

Still a bit of a mystery though!

Regards

Colio

temp003 05:48 03 Mar 04

If reinstalling Windows Updates doesn't make any difference, update virus definitions and scan thoroughly for viruses.

Download and install Spybot search & destroy and let it check and fix problems. click here or use other spyware removal software such as Adaware.

The problem may or may not be caused by virus/spyware, and even if it is, the above programs may not detect them, but try it first anyway.

If problem persists, download and install the standard version of "Hijack This" click here and let it scan. If you know what to fix, tick the boxes to let Hijack This fix it. If not, click "Save Log", then copy and paste the text on the log file here for others to have a look.

temp003 05:55 03 Mar 04

Sorry, the link to Hijack This does not have a link to the download of the standard version.

click here and try any of the download locations on the left side of the page.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…