Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4
I am unable to open links in emails when using Outlook 2000. This problem only started today. I have no problem opening attachments and I can open links in the forum. I have searched the forum and found a solution which explains how to reset the default file association for the URL: Hypertext Transfer Protocol and have tried it but it has not worked. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
Thanks for the response - I have just this minute given that a try without success. Funny thing is I have Thunderbird on my computer and I can open links in that OK. Yesterday I updated A2 to the newer version and that shows a fault each time I download updates.
I don't think it will be anything to do with A² I installed the new version yesterday with no problems, but if it is showing a fault uninstall it and then redownload and reinstall. Let us know meanwhile I will have a think.
Thanks once again rawprawn. That is the article I found searching the forum. I have tried both. The settings in the second one are OK. I have just done a system restore to 28th July and it now seems to work ok so I will keep my fingers crossed. If it happens again I will try and find out which program is causing it and let you know.
I followed this link from a google search. The exact same thing happened to me! I have just bought a new laptop and am installing all my software again.As i am learnijng the new software, firewalls and hardware on the PC, it is taking time and i was hitting a few problems. Most of them are now sorted. However, i got this one. I thought it was another software clash. However, all my links in outlook wont launch the corresponding webpage. It opens the IE window, but the adress bar remains blank. This also happens with links inside pages, but not if i get a google returned list. I tried to reinstall office, ran the fix and repair in outlook at suggested above. I dont have the other program installed. Is it releated to a microsoft update? I dont have a valid restore point to return to.
I found the following in the microsoft knoledge base. It fixed the outlook problem and some inbedded ones, but i still get a bland on a couple of IE links. Will try to solve this one too, once i have checked it is not my firewall or pop up blocker stopping it!
...it would help if i pasted it in!!
OL2000: Problems When You Click a Hyperlink in Outlook 2000
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 329912
Last Review : January 7, 2006
Revision : 3.1
This article was previously published under Q329912
When you click a hyperlink in Outlook 2000: • Microsoft Internet Explorer may start, and the Internet Explorer Address box may be empty.
• A Locate Link Browser dialog box may appear.
To resolve this issue: 1. Click Browse in the Locate Link Browser dialog box.
2. In the Locate Link Browser dialog box, locate the Iexplore.exe file, click it, and then click Open. By default, this file is located in the c:\Program Files\Internet Explorer folder.
NOTE: You may have to search your hard disk for this file.
3. Test to determine if the issue is resolved. If the issue is resolved, do not complete the remaining steps. If the issue is not resolved, you may experience a new symptom in which two windows open. When this occurs, one window displays the correct link and one is empty. If you experience this new symptom, go to the next step.
4. Double-click My Computer.
5. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
6. Click the File Types tab.
7. Under Extension, locate the "N/A" entry, and then locate the "URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol" entry under File Types.
8. Click Advanced.
9. Under Actions, click Open.
10. Click Set Default, and then click OK two times.
This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.