Unable to open files in MY DOCUMENTS

asterias 10:20 04 Nov 06

My OS is Windows XP Prof'.Unexpectedly,when attempting to open some, but not all, files in the "My Documents" icon from the Desktop I receive either the message " C/Documents&Settings/GB/MyDocuments?Diary.wdb is not a valid Win32 application" or I get a window entitled, OPEN FILE AS, below which are the options Word Processor or Spreadsheet or Database followed by FILE TYPE then Text for DOS or Text for Windows.
As a result I've been unable to access the data in these files.
Can anyone advise me how to undo these blocks please?

ArrGee 10:38 04 Nov 06

It seems as though your installation of Office may have become corrupted. First of all, run your anti-virus and some spyware apps first (Spybot, AdAware etc).

If this doesn't resolve the problem, you may need to reinstall Office.

Legolas 14:03 04 Nov 06

What application did you create these docs with in the first place. If it was MS Word you might need to do a repair click here you could try opening the docs in notepad or wordpad do do this right click on the doc and choose wordpad or notepad from the list if neither are showing chose "show program" and select the one you want

asterias 14:40 04 Nov 06

Re my query at 10.20 this morning under the above title,I reinstalled "MS WORKS" but with no change in the afore-mentioned response.However I did follow the advice of "Legolas" and tried opening the files in Notepad & Wordpad.In both cases the files opened but in an unintelligible script.
Many thks so far, but where do I go from here?

Legolas 19:49 04 Nov 06

This app will allow you to convert the Works files to word docs click here worth a try

Woolwell 20:11 04 Nov 06

wbd extensions are used by whiteboards. Have you by any chance saved a document in word for use on a whiteboard? Is the whiteboard connected?

asterias 09:00 05 Nov 06

Legolas-many thks.I did the Works 6.0 conversion download and when I click on the MY DOCUMENTS files I now get the message "Command line option syntax error.Type Command/?for help.
All the files are there when I do a "Search" but the data is all numbers and symbols and letters jumbled up.
Any further advice would be a boon.

Technotiger 09:03 05 Nov 06

Hi, perhaps a System Restore back to before this happenned.

Cheers

asterias 17:09 05 Nov 06

Unfortunately the System Restore facility failed.

VoG II 17:14 05 Nov 06

It may be worth running an on-line virus scan. Here's a selection:

BitDefender Free Online Virus Scan
click here
Make sure you tick AutoClean under Scan Options.

Panda ActiveScan
click here
Make sure you tick Disinfect automatically under Scan Options.

Housecall at TrendMicro
click here
Make sure you tick Auto Clean.

eTrust Antivirus Web Scanner
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…