Unable to open Excel files

Young Ranger 23:04 02 Aug 08

I work partly from home but regularly transfer files to my home PC from several work PCs all using the same version of Excel. I have been doing this for a number of years without problem but I recently found that files from one of the work PCs which previously opened OK won't open on the home PC and I get the message "This file is not in a recognisable format". (They have been saved in the original Excel workbook format.)

I get the same result if the file is transferred via email or USB flash drive. I thought it might be because my home PC uses Vista but I have tried them on a couple of other XP machines with the same result.

Any ideas please.

Giant68 09:45 03 Aug 08

What is the file extension? .xls or maybe .sxls?

Giant68

Young Ranger 10:57 03 Aug 08

.xls

lotvic 21:39 03 Aug 08

Will it open using Microsofts (free) Excel Viewer? Details for free download click here

Another suggestion, maybe the pc that is creating them needs Excel repairing.

Excel > Help > Detect and Repair

Young Ranger 22:42 03 Aug 08

I have already tried the Excel viewer with the same result. I'll try repairing Excel on the work PC though that will be in a few days time.

Young Ranger 16:59 09 Jan 09

Reviving this thread as it is still causing me a problem.I have tried repairing Excel on both machines but it is no different.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…