Unable to Network Desktop with Laptop

clash33 11:16 21 Jul 06

I have internet access running on both PC,s
Desktop is running XP Pro and Laptop is running XP Home. The desktop is connected via USB to a ADSL Router (GWART2-54125) and the laptop has a Netgear wireless PC card. I have activated shared folders on both pc's and have run the networking wizard many times but no joy. Can someone please help. Thanks

clash33 11:19 21 Jul 06

It may be an issue the laptop is a sony vaio

Gordon999 11:44 21 Jul 06

Clash33,

Not sure if you've looked into this.......or how much you know about TCP/IP (apologises if you are well up), but may need to look at the IP addressing to ensure they can talk to each other.

clash33 11:48 21 Jul 06

I'm new to this so TCP/IP is a new one on me, what do I need to check and where will I find it, Thanks for your help

mgmcc 11:56 21 Jul 06

If you have internet access running reliably in both computers then you definitely *don't* have a problem with TCP/IP. They both connect to your router which will allocate their IP addresses in the same subnet.

The most common reason for networked computers not communicating is that you have firewall software installed and haven't configured it to allow them to communicate, which may involve adding their IP addresses in a "trusted" area.

Something which might help to get the two talking is to use "IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol". This doesn't need configuring with IP addresses and so on like TCP/IP and isn't affected by firewalls. However, for internet access, TCP/IP is still required.

To install "IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol" in Windows XP, go into the Network Connections folder, right click the Local Area Connection and select Properties. In the General tab, click the Install button. In the next box, highlight Protocol and click Add. Select "NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol" and click OK.

clash33 12:02 21 Jul 06

I have AVAST running as my firewall on both pc's
I will do as advised an install "IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol" Thanks for all you help it's great!

Gordon999 12:38 21 Jul 06

Mgmcc,

Hi thanks for explaining that.......Saved me. I quite clearly having re-read my reply didn't make it that clear what I meant....so at least I have learnt something also. "Be clear when replying". Thanks again

ade.h 13:14 21 Jul 06

Er... Avast is not a firewall.

clash33 13:36 21 Jul 06

Still no go - I have now fitted an Ethernet card but no change, still get the "MSHOME is not accessable........contact admin...Blah Blah

irishrapter 15:14 21 Jul 06

Do you have windows firewall running?
Are both computers on the same workgroup?
Do they have different computer names/ID?
Can each computer ping one another?

Could be a router config problem.

Do both computers have an RJ45?
If so you could connect them both together without the router with a cross over cable. Then set the IP address manually. If file sharing works then you know you have a router problem.

mgmcc 16:58 21 Jul 06

As "ade.h" says, Avast isn't a Firewall, it is an AntiVirus program. Do you have a firewall such as Zone Alarm installed, as that would definitely need to be configured before the computers will be able to communicate?

Try opening "My Network Places" and enter the path to the remote PC directly into the address bar in the form:

\\computername

or

\\computername\sharedfolder

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced