Unable to manual download from Microsoft

johnem 22:48 08 Nov 06

Evening all,
I have just taken the plunge and carried out a new installation of Windows XP Pro. All seems to be OK. I have set windows update to proceeed automatically, which it appears to be doing. However when I click on "Windows Update" I get the report back that.

"The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.
For self-help options:
Frequently Asked Questions
Find Solutions
Windows Update Newsgroup
For assisted support options:
Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for Windows Update issues)
Read more about steps you can take to resolve this problem (error number 0x800A1391) yourself."

I have followed the suggestions and included the various http lines into "sites" on the Trusted Zone. But I still get the same reply. I have now reset the secuity and advanced setting s in IE6 to the default level, still get the same message. It is probably something very simple, just I cannot think of it at the moment. Any ideas please?

Phphred 22:55 08 Nov 06

Have you had XP Validated?

johnem 23:02 08 Nov 06

Phphred,
As far as I know, when I registered the software on Sunday after the install via the validation reminder, everything seemed to be OK. Oh well I was only going to download iE 7 to give it a run. Will have to wait a while.

Stuartli 23:03 08 Nov 06

For the moment you can download the updates, security measures etc going back to the launch of SP2 in August 2004 by using AutoPatcher:

click here

ed-0 23:03 08 Nov 06

Have you tried this? click here

johnem 23:16 08 Nov 06

Thanks ed-0 and Stuartli, the detailed threads you provided lead me to the adjustments in Zonealrm Pro. It now has found Microsoft. Thank you very much.

ed-0 23:30 08 Nov 06

glad it worked. ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…