Unable to make a backup.

m800afc 23:38 01 Apr 08

Windows XP Pro, SP2.
I recently bought a new Western Digital 1TB My Book World Network Hard Drive.I have tried to make a backup of my computer using Acronis True Image 10. On both occasions I was advised that the backup would take 16 hours to complete. On the first occasion the backup failed with 9 minutes left, on the second, with 8 minutes left. On both occasions Acronis reported that it could not save the backup file, citing "Bad Media" as the reason. The Network drive states it is formatted as NTFS, although I am unable to find any option to format the drive. There is 180Gb used on the drive.
What do I have to do to create a backup?

DieSse 01:11 02 Apr 08

"On both occasions Acronis reported that it could not save the backup file, citing "Bad Media" as the reason."

I think the first thing is to checkout the drive for errors.

Gandalph 01:16 02 Apr 08

No way should it take that long. Mine takes about seven minutes to do a full backup of my C drive. How much data on your C drive do you have.

m800afc 01:32 02 Apr 08

I have 203Gb of data on my system drive that I wish to backup.

Technotiger 08:47 02 Apr 08

Wow, and I thought I had a lot with roughly 70Gb data. 203Gb will take a bit of time, but I think you can ignore the 16hours message, because after just a short time you will find that that will drop down to very much less. My 70+ Gb takes about 30-45 minutes using Acronis 11.

As DieSse says, try a disk check for errors first.

Technotiger 08:53 02 Apr 08

It may be relevant ...

"These drives are quiet and they format to NTFS quickly as long as you remember to specify quick format!!

Keep in mind that if you connect multiple drives, you will want to use different controlled ports on your computer; not just a USB hub (the reason is each dedicated port of a USB 2.0 can only work at a total of 400 MB/S. That means if you have multiple drives on the same controlled port that they are sharing that speed (this will really show up if you are moving data from one drive to another on the same hub). Remember, having 4 ports on your computer does not mean that they are 4 separately controlled ports! Check your users manual or call technical support for your product to see how many separately controlled ports you really have."

wee eddie 12:09 02 Apr 08

That 16 hours includes Verification, so it's really 8 hours, but the Verification is essential. Why not run it overnight. Nothing else should be running at the same time ~ off line etc.

Dantz does my 75GB to a USB 500GB WD Drive in just short of 3.5 hours. So ~ Roughly the same speed as yours is suggesting.

m800afc 14:24 02 Apr 08

I have tried chkdsk, and it does not run. I think the reason may be that the drive letter for the network drive is dynamically assigned. Is there another method of checking the drive.
I cannot access the drive at all now. When I try to, I get a dialog box saying "The path L does not exist or is not a directory"

m800afc 14:47 02 Apr 08

Technotiger.
The network drive is NOT connected by USB. It is connected by ethernet cable to the router. The computer is in turn connected to the router by ethernet cable.

The problem is not how long a backup takes, (16 hours), but the fact that each time I try to backup, it fails with only a few minutes left.

Technotiger 15:04 02 Apr 08

You may well get more informed suggestions/help from click here

Good luck.

DieSse 15:18 02 Apr 08

"I cannot access the drive at all now. When I try to, I get a dialog box saying "The path L does not exist or is not a directory""

Can you see the drive from your PC at all?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…