unable to logoff, restart or shutdown an XP client

SwissRosie 18:48 17 Sep 06

I work for a small school with a Windows 2003 server based LAN. PCs "randomly" won't let people log off / restart or shutdown. And this problem is getting more and more frequent every day.
All client PCs have XP Professional operating system with Trend Micro anti-virus.
Does anybody have any idea what might be causing this problem?
Thank you

howard63 06:44 18 Sep 06

assuming you have checked for virus etc., try looking at the settings of your firewall and the security settings.

Iron Maiden 07:49 18 Sep 06

I'm not 100% sure but i think that when you shut down or log off a pc that is on a Domain using Active Directory, which if your running 2003 you should be.
That Pc's credential's & those of its logged on user are checked against the settings in AD.If those setting deny the user permission to log off/shut down
this may be the cause. So my 1st port of call would be to check Gpo's, computer & user settings on the server. Also have a look through the error logs.
If this is only a recent problem try a system restore
(Not sure if system restore back's up AD( bit worth a try

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…