Unable to log on to Windows XP

CraftyKT 21:11 23 Mar 05

My dad`s computer appears to start ok but he now has a screen where he appears to need to log onto Windows (he`s the only user) This is all well and good but it won`t log him on and he ends up on the same screen again. This also happens in safe mode (where there is the extra option of administrator). I do know that he has worms and trojans on his hard drive as he was already having problems and I found win32.funner amongst others before this latest problem reared it`s ugly head. I want to put a second hard drive on the system, but my "spare" has Win98se on it. Can we use this to access his data on the original drive in case we need to reformat and do a fresh install or will the different drive formats be a problem? Also is it worth trying to repair the OS? I`m also a little nervous of transfering a worm or trojen to the second hard drive while working on the computer in spite of having up to date anti virus software and firewall installed. I know his XP Home has service pack 1, but not service pack 2 installed. I hope I`ve explained the problem properly and that someone can point the way ahead. Thanks in advance.

CraftyKT 08:12 24 Mar 05

surely someone out there has some suggestions or advice??? The main thing I want to be able to do is access Dad`s photos and such like so they can be saved to cd. I know that the hard drive may need reformatting, but I don`t want him to lose everything if he doesn`t have to.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…