Unable to log in to PC Advisor

Pentris 14:42 04 Oct 10

I have an issue that is driving me mad. I have a home PC with Win 7 using IE8. When trying to log in to PC Advisor I get the following symptoms.
The site instantly gets flagged up as restricted, the top advert below the banner is not there, the words 'email address' do not go when the field is clicked into and the Login and Register boxes are not in the correct places. I have changed the PC to allow all cookies and pop ups, also specifically set all the PC Advisor web links to be allowed. Still the site overrides all these settings and puts it into a Restricted access mode which shows all the various links have been blocked. I have spoke with PC Advisor staff who were unabel to assist in solving this matter.

wiz-king 14:47 04 Oct 10

Try it in IE8 compatability mode. What antivirus and firewall are you using?

woodchip 14:55 04 Oct 10

Its the security in IE that is stopping you. You need to change the settings in Control Panel Internet Options

birdface 15:32 04 Oct 10

What Anti-Virus anti-malware and firewall programs have you got.
Switch off your firewall temporarily and see if it works ok.
Try another browser to see if that works.
Or maybe give Malwarebytes free version a run.

Pentris 15:48 04 Oct 10

I was using AVG, taken it off, no difference. Using Zonealarm, taken it off, no difference.
Compatibility mode is for programs but this problem is only with the PC Advisor site, nothing else.
As in my initial posting I have changed the IE settings to allow full access to all cookies and pop ups but the PC Advisor site still causes IE 8 to block everything and put it in the restricted zone. It is just the log in that is disabled, I can still view the rest of the site even in restricted mode.

birdface 16:27 04 Oct 10

Have you tried .Tools.Internet Options.Security and set it to default.

birdface 16:33 04 Oct 10

Try File and make sure it does not have work offline ticked.

Pentris 17:05 04 Oct 10

Work offline is not ticked. All security options are at default. I have used Spybot in the past but I searched the restricted sites listing and could not find any PC Advisor related sites in the list. Have loaded Safari and that works ok. It looks like I am going to have to use Safari just for PC Advisor. Thanks guys for all your suggestions.

birdface 17:26 04 Oct 10

If I was you I would check Zone Alarm is not stopping it.
Or a system restore to when it was working.
Or try another Browser and if that works the problem will probably be IE8.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…