Unable to log in to certian sites

dopey_dave 14:21 14 Jul 08

I've had a search, but couldn't find an answer here so...

I can access most home pages, ebay, google, yahoo, facebook, my bank etc, to name but a few, but whenever Press a link to log in, the page hangs and comes back with either a "Timed out" error (firefox 3) or "Cannot display page" (IE7). I also get the same errors if I try to register at said sites.
I had this problem a couple of weeks ago but it was fixed by a re-format, however now it's back. I have done another format and so have a fresh install.
The obvious I have tried; Power off the router, update drivers, cleared all browsing history (firefox and IE), full antivirus & spyware scan (although machine has been formatted). Turned off firewall and A/V. Device Manager is showing no errors.

My system / setup:-
Packard Bell istart 2380 / Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit
Realtek 802.11g/b usb wireless dongle
Netgear DG834 Router
Avast Anti virus / Spybot S&D / Windows Firewall.

I'd be very greatful for any and all suggestions. Many thanks.

brundle 14:28 14 Jul 08

MTU; click here

dopey_dave 15:08 14 Jul 08

Thanks brundle. I followed the guides in the link you gave me and have adjusted the MTU settings, however the problem persists.

brundle 15:38 14 Jul 08

Disable Vista TCP Auto/Tuning;
click here

Is it improved if you connect via cable instead of wireless? Have you checked for updated drivers for your wireless device and/or firmware updates for your router?

Ditch999 15:39 14 Jul 08

Is it only secure sites beginning with https:\\?
Try going to Windows Update and see if there are root Certificates updates. This is usually in the Custom section.

brundle 15:39 14 Jul 08

Sorry, I see you already checked for drivers, any firmware updates are worth having though

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…