Unable to loads Windows XP

BigAl127 16:53 16 May 06

I've got a friends P.C. that apparently kept locking up. When I started it up, it went up into windows and the Anti virus program kept coming up with virus after virus. Seemed as though the easiest thing would be to format the drive and re-install windows XP. How wrong could I be.

I've tried several times to re-install and the furthest i've been able to get so far is setup saying "copying files" and anywhere from between 10% and 74% then system locks up.

The motherboard is an AOpen,Athlon 1900+ CPu, onboard graphics, separate sound card, 1Gb ddr 400 Ram (2 x 512Mb sticks), 40Gb Hard Drive, Cdrom Drive and CD-Rw drive.

I've checked all the bios settings, which seem ok, tried each stick of ram on it's own, plus another new 512mb stick, Changed Ide Cables, and changed the CD-rom drive plus tried 2 other 40 Gb Hard drives.

I'm therefore beginning to think that there's a problem with the motherboard or PSU. My next step is to strip the whole system out of the case, and rebuild it step by step on the bench, to see if I can find the fault.

Anyone got any other suggestions, before I take this drastic step or before I go insane.

Thanks in advance.

rodriguez 17:07 16 May 06

It could be the motherboard. Sometimes really nasty viruses can infect the BIOS and render it useless. If you can get hold of a spare motherboard that will fit each of the existing components and if it all works OK then it's the board. New boards only cost around £40 or £50 if it needs replacing.

Gongoozler 17:14 16 May 06

Did this computer have an oem Windows disk or a makers restoration disk, and are you using the same disk?

BigAl127 17:18 16 May 06

Thanks Rodriguez for your prompt reply. I was thinking along similar lines.

However, as it's not my p.c. i'm not prepared to buy a new motherboard unless the friend puts the money up front first (been left out of pocket before, though not by this friend). Plus if I advised them to purchase a new board and it didn't solve the problem, i'd feel guilty (ish).

This is one of the cases spoken about in a previous thread, whereby you try to do someone a favour, and they expect the same service as if they were paying money at a store

BigAl127 17:19 16 May 06

Gongoozler.

It's a full Xp disc complete with licence

Gongoozler 17:30 16 May 06

Hi BigAl127. Was the computer originally supplied with a full XP disk? The reason I'm asking is that some computers are supplied with their BIOS locked to the makers restore disk and so throw up errors like those you've described if another Windows disk is used.

BigAl127 17:40 16 May 06

Hi Gongoozler. Thanks for your help so far.

As far as i'm aware there's no makers restore disk involved (though i'll ask my friend tonight), but is there anyway of finding out for sure. And I can't see any partition on the hard
drive which holds any makers files.

Rtus 17:41 16 May 06

make sure you back up all items you may need (drivers not supplied on disc /documents/ log in data (ISP jot it down )needed by user ..or at least know where you can download from ...use partition magic or similar to delete the current partition .reset the bios by the bios jumpers or remove battery for a while .set to boot to winxp-Cd then reinstall windows afresh .your problems in install sequence should be over...

Rtus 17:46 16 May 06

Partition Magic will show these while your viewing the partition table of the hard drive.

BigAl127 17:50 16 May 06

Hi Rtus

I've got all the driver disks and other info, docs etc that I need.

I've not tried re-setting the bios as of yet, but i'm booting from cd and using windows setup to delete & create partition, and formatting as NTFS.

Would Partition Magic make a difference?

Rtus 17:54 16 May 06

the other thing to think about is the o/s disc genuine.copies can often be corrupt.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…