Unable to load W95/W98 programmes on XP.

spuds 12:40 20 Sep 03

I converted to XP Pro a short time ago, and I seem to be having problems installing my 'older software'. Programmes that I had no bother installing on W95/W98se/WME, now seem to refuse [in some cases] to install onto XP. What can I do to correct this problem.

Jester2K II 12:44 20 Sep 03

What programs?

What messages do you get?

Are these older 16 bit applications?

Any that do install but don't run MIGHT be made to run by using the Windows XP Compatibility Wizard. Start Menu, Accessories, Program Compatibility Wizard.

spuds 12:57 20 Sep 03

Jester - Don't seem to get any messages, they just do not install. Tried Add/Remove--Run etc.

The type of programme would be the 1998 "Titanic, An Interactive Journey" by Europress. With usual System Requirements: PC 486 DX 33 or higher,8Mb Ram, Double-Speed CD-Rom,256 colours,Windows 3.1 or Windows 95/98.

spuds 19:50 20 Sep 03

Quiet tonight!!

dfghjkl 20:49 20 Sep 03

i have used compatability mode with great success but some things just wont have it.

Patr100 20:56 20 Sep 03

Some program written for Win 9X/ME will run ok on XP and aome won't even with compatibilty mode on. If they don't I don't think there is much you can do other than say dual booting operating systems which is a whole new ball game.

spuds 11:40 21 Sep 03

Looks like a car boot sale job, or return to WME/W98. I have a full slave H/D with WME, but wanted to use XP.Microsoft XP doesn't seem to be doing me any favours.Since I installed it, I have had numerious problems with older equipment, and some new devices as well.

spuds 19:05 21 Sep 03

Tried the compatibility way, only to have warning message 'InstallShield Engine EXE has encounted a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience'.

Thanks folks, will green tick it now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…