Unable to load operating system

wobblymike 20:13 30 Jan 04

can anyone help

I have acquired a PC which does not have the cabability to boot from CD ROM i.e. there is no option on the BIOS only Floppy or hard drive. There is a CD ROM fitted.

I have flattened a hard drive and formatted it ready to go

How do I load the operating system

Rgds
Mike

Rennaissance 20:17 30 Jan 04

first of all. How is your cd drive connected. It seems here that your cd drive is not recognised as it should be shown in bios devices. if your cd drive is on secondary ide channel then set the jumper to master. If it is on primary ide channel along with the harddrive then set it as slave. If that isn't the problem then sorry i can't help you. Check the ribbon cables are properly plugged in and the power cable is also connected the right way around on it. Sometimes it can get mixed up on which way round they should be.

wobblymike 20:21 30 Jan 04

no thats not the problem the CD ROM is recognised by the BIOS but the BIOS does not have the option of selecting the CD ROM as a boot device

Thanks anyway Rennaissance for responding

spikeychris 20:22 30 Jan 04

Is it XP you want to load? if so...

Get the Windows XP Boot Diskettes and use them. There are still systems out
there that won't work easily without this option - yours sounds like one of
them:

XP Home Edition:
click here

XP Professional Edition:
click here

You'll need 6 blank floppy disks.

If its anything post back..

Diodorus Siculus 20:24 30 Jan 04

What you need is a bootable floppy, such as one from click here - download one from there and boot with it.

It will then tell you the CD rom letter; eg E

Type the following

e:\setup

which should start the setup routine.

What OS are you trying to install?

wobblymike 20:24 30 Jan 04

spikeychris

while I would love to use XP I fancy the processor speed at 166 is too slow I was planning to use 2000 pro

mike

Diodorus Siculus 20:26 30 Jan 04

Should have said, the above applies to Win95 / 98 / ME.

XP is a salmonella.

Diodorus Siculus 20:27 30 Jan 04

Wow, even Win2k will struggle on a 166 processor.

wobblymike 20:29 30 Jan 04

Diodorus Siculus

Thanks for the suggestion, I have a boot disc and I have just tried what you suggest with the Win 2000 pro in the cd rom it says "This program cannot be run in DOS MODE" ??

Mike

Diodorus Siculus 20:31 30 Jan 04

I am trying to remmeber what the command line for Win2k is... give me a minute or some other brighter spark may come up with it.

Diodorus Siculus 20:36 30 Jan 04

I think that you will have to download the Win2k setup disks (two floppies needed).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…