Unable to load up my windows

Mysticul_dragon 20:13 10 Oct 03

After I turn on my computer the black boot screen comes up, then it asks F1 to continue, after doing that, the Windows 98 screen appears for about 1 second, then disappears to come back to a black screen saying, 'The following file is missing or corruptive: C:\CD ROM\ OAK CD ROM.SYS there is an error in your CONFIR.SYS file mode select code page function completed'.
I then type mode then it says 'ACTIVE CODE page 850'
I am bemused from their and can't do anything further to get my computer starting, please help and reply as soon as possible.

woodchip 20:21 10 Oct 03

Are you trying to reload win98 as the OAK CD ROM.SYS is for the generic CD driver when you first load windows. If not then start with Win98 floppy disc and at A:\> type SCANREG/RESTORE press enter and load an old date before your problem

R4 20:34 10 Oct 03

Boot to Dos prompt, use a bootfloppy if you have to and see what is in your autoexec.bat and config.sys files... C:\autoexec.bat etc.

Comment out or remove any reference to the oak cd rim drivers as windows uses it's own.

R4 20:35 10 Oct 03

Comment out or remove any reference to the oak cd rom drivers as windows uses it's own

chuds 20:38 10 Oct 03

Failing that, at a dos prompt type edit config.sys and rem out the statement about the cd rom driver.

Win98 does not need a real mode Dos driver to run cd rom drives,you may have had it in there to boot into pure dos and have cd rom support for a game or similar.

The code page is out dated and merely refers to the keyboard settings, sets it as English.

As Autoexec.bat and config.sys are pretty much redundant under Win98, if nothing else works boot the system into command prompt only and at that prompt rename the config.sys to something like config.old and restart the pc, it should boot okay then.

Then run scandisk, and a decent virus checker.

woodchip 20:46 10 Oct 03

Can you get into Windows Safe mode by keep pressing F8 when starting your windows

Mysticul_dragon 22:09 12 Oct 03

no that brings me to a blue screen, and I don't know what to do from their

R4 14:45 13 Oct 03

"As Autoexec.bat and config.sys are pretty much redundant under Win98"

Both are still run during boot unless they are disbled in msconfig.. and any crud like real mode drivers left over from old systems etc can cause problems. So rem out or delete.

Mysticul_dragon.

If you press F8 before win boot, ie at the end of the Bios report you will get serveral boot options:

You can select dos prompt and then run scandisk, edit the autoexec.bat and config.sys and run a virus check without entering windows.... you can also select a Bootlog boot; Selective mode boot, safe mode boot or safe DOS mode boot

You should be able to get at least the dos boots to work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…