Unable to load free Antivirus

thumbscrew 23:04 03 Apr 10

I used to run Avast 4.8 free with no problems. Then came the 5.0 upgrade, which I accepted and found that, with it installed I couldn't access my Outlook Express nor get on line.Ditto with Avira and AVG, I can install both but they won't automatically update. I'm now running MSE because I'm running out of options. The screen tells me it's up to date. I called out a computer engineer, who spent three hours trying to clear everything and install the aforementioned programs, but MSE is the only one that updates itself...the others refuse to update even manually. I run XP and am virus free. Can anyone help please?

northumbria61 23:11 03 Apr 10

Microsoft Security Essentials provides real-time protection for your home PC that guards against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software.

If you really need the others I would suggest you uninstall and reinstall - but beware anti virus programs can conflict if run in "real time" protection mode.

I would go with MSE and Malwarebytes (Both Free)

Belatucadrus 23:18 03 Apr 10

While I prefer avast! MSE is fine, why not just use it ?
If you want something else to try check out Appremover click here it's a nifty utility for removing security software.
There's also another free AV prog that's worth a look Rising click here if you want to try an alternative.

thumbscrew 23:24 03 Apr 10

Thanks both and yes I'm using MSE by default. Although it's fine and I'm content with it, I'm really trying to find out why my PC rejects the updates from Avira and AVG, since I upgraded Avast (Which, as I mentioned played havoc), from 4.8 to 5.0

birdface 09:02 04 Apr 10

Possible Virus.
Virus will not let you update any security programs.
To be in the safe side Try And download Malwarebytes free version update it and run a scan if you can and see if it finds any problems.

lotvic 10:55 04 Apr 10

Manual update - could be your firewall not allowing access if you haven't got those programs in the allowed list.

Or as northumbria61 has said
"beware anti virus programs can conflict if run in "real time" protection mode"

Avira, Avast and AVG and MSE antivirus?
are they all trying to run in Real time mode? if so then they will be stopping each other from working properly

thumbscrew 23:34 04 Apr 10

Thanks each...Belatucadrus, that's a handy one...I'll use that.Firewall's allowing lotvic, buteman no virus I've checked. Cheers northumbria, but I uninstalled all and still wouldn't download.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…