unable to load configuration

eysha 13:41 14 May 08

i continue to get the message above each time i start up windows. windows does start up normally all bar this. can i get a patch to fix it or do i have to reinstall windows xp? my laptop only came with a full recovery disk which wipes the whole hard drive which is not what i want to do so i am hoping to patch this problem - is it possible please? what is the quickest and easiest way to do this as i am not a computer person really have little knowledge but i am trying to avoid expensive repair shops. thanks.
E.

Technotiger 13:54 14 May 08

This simply means that one of your applications or programs has failed to fully load - trouble is, it is not easy to identify which one.

You could try running a program like Ccleaner click here which might clear it. Before running Ccleaner I would advise you to create a new System Restore Point - to do this go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore then opt to Create a New Restore Point, just follow on-screen prompts. It will automatically re-start your computer when done, you can then try running Ccleaner.

rossgolf 14:13 14 May 08

use ccleaner to see what is starting up at startup...disable one at a time and see which is causing the problem.

Technotiger 14:20 14 May 08

Hi, bit of a long drawn-out method, one I have never attempted myself, let alone a "not a computer person - with little knowledge"

As a matter of interest, have you ever used that method yourself?

eysha 14:36 14 May 08

Do i now take it that this problem is not a windows XP problem but an application and or a programe problem? If so there is no point in trying to reinstall XP.
I did notice that Armor2net was having problems so i uninstalled and reinstalled but this did not resolve this problem. I also note that Nero is not running properly at all and it takes a long time to load folders with photographs or similar in them, does this help?

crosstrainer 14:43 14 May 08

Are you running XP? If so have you installed XP Service Pack 3? Some of the symptoms you describe sound like the issues others are having with this update.

Technotiger 14:47 14 May 08

You are correct, it is not a Windows problem as such. It could be Nero - if you have the CD for Nero then I would advise you to uninstall Nero using click here

During the uninstall when you are asked if you want to re-start your computer - Don't re-start, Revo goes a bit further than other un-installers, let Revo continue. When you get the option to Select All and then Delete, do just that. When Revo has finished re-start your computer.

You will then have a 'clean-slate' to re-install Nero from your CD.

eysha 14:48 14 May 08

Crosstrainer, yes i am running windows XP which came with the laptop so that is the only disk i have. unfortunately the disk is only a recovery disk and would wipe the harddrive totally, there is no alternative with this disk so no i haven't used XP Service Pack 3 and don't know where to get it etc.

Technotiger 14:52 14 May 08

Even after all that, it might not be Nero (but as Nero is being trouble-some ... ), as I said earlier not always easy to find the trouble-maker - though crosstrainer has a good point too.

eysha 15:41 14 May 08

I have now downloaded Revo and uninstalled both Nero and Armor2net and tried my folders which seem to be displaying my pictures better/faster however, i have my harddrive divided into two and the D drive is still not improved. does Revo not cover a divided harddrive?

Technotiger 17:23 14 May 08

Are you still getting the unwanted message on boot-up?

I have three actual drives, as far as I am aware Revo deals with all of them. I would have thought that a Partitioned drive would be no different.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…