Unable to load altered images

peterleemaxwell 10:41 AM 31 Dec 12

I have a PC that I have been using for just over a year. I went to my old PC that I have left for that length of time to move some photographic images over. I copied them with no problem but where the original image would open , next to it if I had altered them in any way through a programme such as P.S.Pro then they would not. Obviously I have tried various ways to open them including the original file on the old PC. All are of different sizes and were altered in about 2003. I can only think the programme that I used has gone. Is the any programme I can try to open them available? The list I have tried is Adobe, IrfanView, PSP, Windows Image viewer. Any help appreciated.

alanrwood 10:46 AM 31 Dec 12

You seem to have tried most of the programs already. What is the file extension of the files that will not open.

peterleemaxwell 11:05 AM 31 Dec 12

Thanks alanrwood for your reply. They are now all with the file extensions I have tried to alter to and open with. Originally they would have been only one or two formats as I never did use the programmes own. The two are J peg or more likely Tiff. Best Wishes.

peterleemaxwell 11:12 AM 31 Dec 12

Could I ask if anyone knows of a programme that will open up almost any windows image file? Which is the best? Many thanks.

alanrwood 11:40 AM 31 Dec 12

Hi again

PSP will open nearly any image format you can think of, as will IrfanView. I am not clear what you mean in your first reply. Have you changed the file extensions manually since they were on your original machine or do you mean that they were originally and still are jpg or tif

peterleemaxwell 12:29 PM 31 Dec 12

Hi alanrwood. I have changed the file extension that many times now I have forgot what the original extension was. Although it would have been one of the ones I have tried. I am thinking now it will be something, only a guess, that I have gone to 64bit on the new PC from 32bit on the old one. I'll do a bit of fiddling. Many thanks for your help.

alanrwood 12:53 PM 31 Dec 12

It should not matter whether you are in 32 or 64 bit. Have you changed the extensions on the original file on the old computer.

lotvic 13:55 PM 31 Dec 12

in addition to alanrwood's responses - What is the message that pops up from each program (on each pc) when they fail to open the image file?

If (as alanrwood suggests) you still have files on old pc in original form, then that is the place to start. does the old pc still boot up ok?

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus launch live: What to expect from Apple's 9 September 2015…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This installation lets you control a laser and sound show using your mind

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites