unable to load 98 se

dfghjkl 22:25 06 Mar 04

i am building up a pc for my kids(keep them off mine)amd 1400(1.05mhz) 4.5 gig hard drive,matsonic 8308e mobo. i turned it on with a start up disc in,formatted in fat 32,loaded up windows 98 and everything was fine.last night i went to upgrade with a 98 se disc,i got about 15 minutes into the upgrade and my pc crashed.i restarted it but cant load windows,i have tried 98 se and the original 98 but cant load any of them now.i have started again with fdisk,then restart then format c,then restart then d:\setup and i keep getting "bad command or file name" i have the m soft page up on this pc telling me how to load 98 and i have ran through it many times,but still no joy.can any one help me please,thanks.peter.

Valvegrid 22:32 06 Mar 04

Try E:\setup, don't forget the virtual drive is E: so the CD is moved up to E: temporally

dfghjkl 22:35 06 Mar 04

thanks for quick response,i have tried that.peter.

Valvegrid 22:36 06 Mar 04

Sorry, temporally = temporarily

Strawballs 22:37 06 Mar 04

try going into bios and changing to boot to cd rom 1st you can then formatt from there.

Diodorus Siculus 22:37 06 Mar 04

At the A:\ prompt, type

fdisk /mbr

then try the setup routine with the win98SE disk.

dfghjkl 01:56 07 Mar 04

Strawballs,i did not think you can boot from 98 cd,but i am prepared to try anything. Diodorus Siculus,i will give it a whirl.thanks.it is going to be a late one.never mind the f1 grand prix is on so both my hobbies together.peter.

temp003 04:02 07 Mar 04

Another command to try at the X:\> prompt (where X is the CDROm drive letter) is

cd win98

and Enter. Then type:

setup

and Enter.

Valvegrid 07:01 07 Mar 04

Is it reading the CD ROM, try typing from the A: prompt X:\dir/p (X being the the CD drive letter) and see if you can read the folder list. If you get the same message with both the 98 and 98se disks it could be the CD drive duff or the generic driver not installed from the boot disk or CD drive not enabled in the BIOS.

If you can see the folders have a look for a folder called Win98, the setup.exe is located there.

Type X:\CD Win98 <Return>

You should see on the screen X:\WIN98>

Type SETUP.EXE<Return>

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5