unable to launch word

geewis357 16:34 14 Nov 09

Hi guys, I have trying to open 2003 word but as soon as it opens after about 4 seconds it all freezes up then I get the usual popup.

Microsoft Office Word has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. Have used system restore but that did no good
comp has XP Pro

VoG II 16:36 14 Nov 09

See if it will start in safe mode click here

geewis357 16:44 14 Nov 09

Thank VoG I have just tried that but it is still the same, word opens then freezes after 4 secs, I have uninstalled it and re installed but still the same.

rawprawn 17:02 14 Nov 09

Try uninstalling it using Revo Uninstall using the advanced setting and delete all it finds
click here
Then reinstall

geewis357 17:31 14 Nov 09

Tried that Rawprawn, looks looks the part but I'me afraid it is still behaving the same.

rawprawn 17:43 14 Nov 09

Have a look here click here

Sea Urchin 17:50 14 Nov 09

I would go with Method 2 in rawprawn's link - create a new normal.dot template.

Sea Urchin 18:00 14 Nov 09

Before that it would be helpful to display the file extensions - the .dot

Go to Control Panel - Folder Options - View tab and make sure 'Hide extensions for known file types' is not ticked. If it is then uncheck and click Apply/OK.

geewis357 18:07 14 Nov 09

I have tried method 1 but no ticks were there in compatability

Method 2 has made no diference
manny thanks 4 trying

geewis357 18:17 17 Nov 09

I have noticed that when word opens if you type imidiatly, as long as you dont pause for a few seconds all is well also if you place the curser on a buton all is well. Its as if there is a 4 second time out, the only way I can thik of correcting this is to do a full re-install but that is a bit drastic. any ideas welcome

Sea Urchin 18:47 17 Nov 09

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…