Unable to join home wireless network

Maineman 20:22 07 Feb 06

Hi all, I'm trying to sort a strange problem on home network. Main PC has Belkin modem/router externally attached and acts as host / gateway. My laptop gets online wirelessly without hiccups and is seen in the network. I have another home PC that I have set up in the same way but it is not seen on the network at all. It tells me it is connected to the internet/network, but I cannot connect to the internet at all. It also tells me that the settings are correct (ie Ip address subnet mask etc etc). When i run the Dos command Ipconfig it returns the correct info no problem. However when i try and 'ping' the default gateway I get the following error message in Windows: '16 Bit MS-Dos subsystem: Command prompt ping (followed by the correct address) C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS Dos and other windows applications'
Never seen that before.
Strangely I CAN get onto the Router's homepage but when i type in the administrator password it tells me it is incorrect!? It's as if the computer is secretly displaying an incorrect ID or something?
Any tips / ideas please please? Next step is to wipe the hard drive and start all over again!

Maineman 20:23 07 Feb 06

Most probs are firewall related I appreciate - but I have disabled the firewall.

keewaa 23:32 07 Feb 06

This might help click here;en-us;324767

keewaa 23:34 07 Feb 06

in that The Requested Web Page is Not Available

type 324767 in the top right search box

Maineman 18:19 08 Feb 06

Thanks, its worth a go.

mgmcc 06:37 09 Feb 06

<<< I get the following error message in Windows: '16 Bit MS-Dos subsystem: Command prompt ping (followed by the correct address) C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS Dos and other windows applications' >>>

You have a corrupt or missing Autoexec.nt file.

This installation program will reinstall the missing or corrupt Windows XP system files command.com, autoexec.nt and config.nt. The absence or corruption of one or more of these files causes a "16 Bit Subsystem" error.

click here

Maineman 14:42 12 Feb 06

Thanks mgmcc that download now allows that computer to connect to the internet, but.... it still cannot connect to the home network. When i type in the administrator password it still tells me it is incorrect!?
Also when I try to 'ping' the router i get a new error message as follows:
16 Bit MS DOS subsystem: Command prompt ping (followed by Ip address): The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction CS:06e2 IP:1538 OP:6365 6e 73 65 Choose close to terminate the application.
Weird!?
Any suggestions appreciated as always.

mgmcc 16:20 12 Feb 06

There is an article here which might help click here the suggestion being that, in your case, Ping.exe might be corrupted or possibly NTVDM.exe itself.

If you have an "i386" folder in your C drive, you should be able to replace the files from that. Open the Command Prompt window and run these commands:

expand c:\i386\ping.ex_ c:\windows\system32\ping.exe

expand c:\i386\ntvdm.ex_ c:\windows\system32\ntvdm.exe

Note the two spaces in each of the command lines.

Maineman 20:03 15 Feb 06

There is no i386 folder on that PC. That link was interesting tho, seems like a virus related problem then? I can no longer access the internet at all on that computer as before) even though it sows up as conected and correct Ip settings etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…