Unable to install XP SP3

m800afc 22:19 02 Feb 10

Windows XP Pro SP2; ASRock 775VM800; Pentium 4; 3GHz; 2Gb RAM

Following an enforced repair of XP Pro, I am unable to install SP3. The installation fails with the message that the installation has encountered a problem and will close. On closing I get a message saying the update was not installed, and when I try to examine the update history Microsoft's website says it has encountered a problem and cannot display the information required.
I have tried the installation both in normal mode and safe mode and the installation fails in both modes.
Any ideas as to what to try next?

john bunyan 22:22 02 Feb 10

Follow links here

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:47 02 Feb 10

Your anti virus / antispyware may be blocking access to the registry.

1. Make a backup of your registry.

2. Download and install subinacl.exe.
click here

3. Create a file called reset.cmd with Notepad. Copy the text below into the file reset.cmd and run reset.cmd with administrative rights (it may take a LONG time):

cd /d "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %windir%*.* /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose

4. Reboot at SAFE MODE and try install SP3 again.

natdoor 17:00 03 Feb 10

Are you getting the install wizard presented to perform the update? It provides more specific information on the cause of a failed installation than you are seeing and hould enable the rquired fix to be identified. I don't think this appears for a manual download.

For example,I recently had a problem installing Xp SP3.I had automatic update set and an installation started. Then the wizard appeared and seemed to wish to start installation in parallel. Eventually I killed the first process and allowed the wizard to function. The wizard indicates which activities are being performed and the failure occurred at the setting up of a restore point. The failure message was "unable to write to or read from the database". With this information I was able to locate a solution. A fix of the cryptographic service was required. See here /click here and here click here

m800afc 19:36 07 Feb 10

Fruit Bat /\0/\

Thanks for the advice, it did the trick.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5