unable to install windows on second system

grizzley 19:31 29 Dec 07

Hi all hope you all had a good Christmas.

i am looking for help on solving a problem with a computer i have not used for a considerable time to due windows 98se crashing and not allowing re-install. tried to input windows xp no joy ther either. computer is a rebuild bought from computer fair some years back.i got my ei system recovery disks to try to install no good could not load a number of files needed. boot failure, reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device. cd-rom/ floppy

tried boot from HD= invalid system disk.
tried using windows xp pro corpx32 vlk fully updateable-genuine. post second details in another post.

Strawballs 19:34 29 Dec 07

If you could find a friend with a full 98se disc it will work with your product key.

grizzley 19:41 29 Dec 07

thanks for reply. i have tried windows 98se before but to no avail. can not even access safe mode.

Strawballs 20:07 29 Dec 07

go into bios and set to run from CD and it will work from CD on 98se as long as it is full windows and not restore disc. You can then Fdisk, format and setup.exe form this the same as you can from start up disc

Johnnybee 00:55 30 Dec 07

Just one word of warning here, Grizz; if your PC is knocking on a bit you may find that the CD drive isn't what it could be when reading a Windoze install CD.
I had the problem several times when I was on W2K Pro, and it turned out that the install failed at the same point every time because the CDROM couldn't read a particularly involved .dll file.
Installing from a brand-new CDROM cured the problem, so now I keep one in the box for that sole purpose - for a tenner, it's worth it!
JB.

grizzley 13:02 30 Dec 07

thanks for the reply, unfortunately my computer was bought from computer fair back in 1999 it failed in 2002,no back-up discs were given at time because all software was pre-installed. i tried to install win xp from my main computers restore disk to see if it would work. it can read disks but can not install certain files so at least i know it can do it. tried to install windows for work groups from floppy still no joy.

i will get some windows 98 disks from somewhere when i can afford to. thanks for the advice it is appreciated. all best for 2008

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…