Unable to install windows. MS-DOS extender Prob.

Trisco 11:58 01 Sep 03

Hiya folks, wonder if someone could help me with a little prob as it's really getting to me now!

I have been trying to re-install windows on a mates computer and it's just not happening!

I thought initially that it was the HDD - I got a replacement and it's still no good

It gets past scandisk and then crashes out a various points, mostly to tell me something about the ms-dos extender and then lots of letters and numbers

the computer is a Cyrix 6X86 233 the motherboard is a QDI P51430TX Titanium IIB.

I have tried resetting the bios on the board, my next step is to update the bios (just waiting for a notification from driverguide.com)

The HDD was a 4GIG to start with and then I got a 13GIG - it shows up fine in the boot up and whilst fdisking and formatting. I have even got drive fitness tests for both drives and written to zeros

Any Ideas??

spikeychris 12:11 01 Sep 03
  Trisco 15:48 01 Sep 03

Will work my way through those... TTFN

Trisco 13:32 02 Sep 03

Is there anywhere that I can find some more detailed info on the various BIOS options?

In the manuals all the description says most of the times is the same as the tag line or maybe what the different available options are.

surely I can't be the only 1 that doesn't fully understand all the BIOS options?!?

I have tried resetting the BIOS to default, and then physically changing the jumper on the board then flashed the BIOS also

Also I have triecd various HDD's in the machine and even changed the memory to some of my own that I know works - still nothing

All I can think it is now is that there is some rogue BIOS setting that is stopping the OS from installing.

I hope some1 can help

Tris

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…