unable to install usb modem

moosep85 13:17 29 May 04

I have until recently been using an external modem on my sharp actius laptop, however it no longer works, it has completely disappeared, i have tried on numerous occasions to reinstall it but alas to no avail, it normally plugs into one of my usb ports and shows up no problem. I have gone through the hardware wizard but it still does not show up i have tried it on a friends laptop and it installs with no fuss at all. One minute it was working fine the next it just isn't. The modem is an external 56k congesant. When i plug it in it makes two sound and not one like it used to do. Coulod somebody please give me some advice on what to do, also any advice on how te reinstall the original internal modem that disappeared when i had to have my drive repartitioned
Many thanks peter
moosep85

AndySD 13:26 29 May 04

Can you tell us the operating system and the make/model of the laptop please

moosep85 13:29 29 May 04

sharp actius, and i'm usings windows xp pro

AndySD 13:40 29 May 04

Sorry didnt explain properly the Actius what (eg MM10)

TomJerry 13:48 29 May 04

For any usb device, it is better to install drive software before plug it in. By the way, maybe you could restore windows to a eariler point it you have winxp restore function on.

AndySD 14:52 29 May 04

actius pc-fs2417

I cant find anything on the sharp sites on it.

Try Going Start then Control Panel then System then hardware and Device Manager is there any yellow exclamation marks.... if there is one saying simple comms device or similar then right click on it and choose update drivers and then have a disk and piont it at the sharp driver cd.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…