Unable to install Radeon9550 Card

DWANE PYPE 16:51 12 Apr 06

Trying to up date from a 9250 card to a 9550 card.

Put the new drivers in, change cards, booted up get to the desk top, the graphics look like thier in 3D,the new hardware balloons come up,and before I can do anything the screen goes blank.

Any help, to what I'm not doing right will be appreciated.

ABIT VA10 Mobo,1Gb memory, XP home.

007al 16:56 12 Apr 06

Try uninstalling the drivers and rebooting,then install when windows finds new hardware

DWANE PYPE 17:08 12 Apr 06

Will try that,and see what happens.

Stuartli 17:37 12 Apr 06

Follow the instructions in this excellent guide:

click here

and you should sort it out.

I have the same graphics card which replaced an nVidia model.

Unless you really need all the bells and whistles, just install the latest driver (6.3) from ATi's website after getting rid of all the old drivers:

click here

The basic drivers are in the Low Speed downloads section (at least for XP).

DWANE PYPE 20:40 12 Apr 06

Did what you said,got a bit further,I:E. got to desk top that was alright,install wizard window came up, three clicks into it,it froze,then a couple of secs later black screen,tried a couple of reboots,all the same,so on the last try,I closed the wizard, put the cd in it came up, pressed install,it did install one bit, then a quick flash of a black screen, it came on again,
can't remember what it said then, it froze again,then a black screen, rebooted, it said installation not successful,so gave up, put the old card in,and its working all right.

Had a quick look at your click here's,so will have a proper read,down load them drivers,and I will get back to you later or tomorrow.

Stuartli 21:31 12 Apr 06

After you have deleted all your current graphics card drivers and ran Drive Cleaner Pro, Windows will revert to the basic VGA drivers on a reboot.

You then install the new drivers, reboot and then, on the Desktop, right click an empty area>Properties>Advanced button>Adapter>List All Modes.

If you now select the colour, resolution and refresh rate (85MHz is best all round configuration) and then highlight it, Apply (?) or just OK and keep OKing out.

Also select Don't Reboot After Changes.

DWANE PYPE 14:39 13 Apr 06

Went on the Tweakguides site, had a good read,printed most of the pages off(I would'nt remember much of it)did some of what was suggested.
Then I opened Drivercleaner Pro,read txt page,did what it said, then shut down,but before I rebooted,I put the 9550 in,I did that incase it acted the way it did previously,but it booted up with no problems, all it was then was as you said. (resolution, refresh,colour).

Thanks for that it was most appreciated.

I will now tick it on the way out.

Stuartli 16:03 13 Apr 06

A graphic account...:-)

Stuartli 19:45 13 Apr 06

Just found out the latest ATi driver is now 6.4 - but don't worry about it. You probably wouldn't notice any difference and ATi's advice is not to update unless felt necessary.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…