unable to install os on two new drives

Leslie-212488 18:21 26 Mar 05

mobo: Asus A7N8X-X, AMD 2600, 512 MB RAM
Maxtor 20.4 GB drive installed and working with XP home.
The WD drive i thought was faulty is ok, checked using WD diag. software. and works as a slave drive. i have tried installing xp on it and the the Seagate drive, but in both cases when xp does the first boot while installing files. it goes back to boot from CD.i can never get pass this point.I have used maxblast to copy files over to the Wester digital drive, which should make it bootable, but it comes up with, error loading operating system. both drives works fine as slave drives. i dont know what else to try! the maxtor is older than the other two but is still ATA/100
but the spin speed is slower.the cable that came with MB has a "blue" connector. HELP

DieSse 18:46 26 Mar 05

"but in both cases when xp does the first boot while installing files. it goes back to boot from CD"

At the point it starts to reboot, take the CD out - it should start booting from the Hard Drive. Put the CD back in again when the install procedure complains it's missing.

Check the boot sequence in the BIOS - make sure the hard drive is in the sequence, or it'll never try to boot from the hard drive.

The cables are irrelevant to this, as long as you do have the cable installed correctly and the drive jumpers set correctly.

Leslie-212488 19:58 26 Mar 05

disse,
boot sequence is a, c, cdrom. i have never got it boot from the hard drive in the system mentioned above. however i put win 98 on it in a P3 system that i have, and it boots up ok, so i know the drive is woriking ok.

DieSse 20:12 26 Mar 05

So are you saying that you cannot under any circumstanecs get this system to boot from a hard drive? The first post is a tad confusing on this point.

If it's only the WD and Seagate drives that won't boot, and the Maxtor one that will - but the WD drives check out OK as Slaves - then try doing a complete wipe of the drives to their initial factory state. On the Seagate this is using Seatools, and I think on the Maxtor, using Maxblast. This is much more than just a format.

Then you know the drives are fully reset to an initial, and working state, and there is no reason for corruption on the drives to be causing the problem.

DieSse 20:14 26 Mar 05

PS - what capacity are the two new drives - when you test tham as slaves, can they be formatted OK, and what capacity do they show on the system?

DieSse 20:16 26 Mar 05

PPS - how are you cabling them up, and what jumper settings are you using?

Leslie-212488 08:06 27 Mar 05

the wd drive is 80 GB formats to 76GB, the Seagate is 160 GB formats to 152 GB.
i tried installing as a single master, they both stalled at the same place. I cant even get MS DOS to boot from those hard drives, when used in my new system ( which i built last month ) the drives will work in my old P3 system. The old Maxtor drive is 20 GB, has xp installed and is working fine. i used the maxtor because i could not get the WD drive to work, so i decided to use it as a slave, and like i've said, i transferred 98 to it using maxblast and it worked ok in my P3 system. could it be in the something in the BIOS setup, like "LBA" not enabled. could it be the size of the drives? i have a old 10 GB drive i will try it. i wiil report back on thursday as i am away for a few days

Leslie-212488 10:15 03 Apr 05

i have finally got the WD 80 GB drive working. I used the WD disk utility to prepare the drive, and the xp, went on without a problem.
I am sure one of you guys told me to do that, about a month ago, and i neglected to try that. I opoligise. I now have a spare brand new 160GB drive, looks like a job for ebay.
Thanks for the help.

Leslie-212488 10:15 03 Apr 05

i have finally got the WD 80 GB drive working. I used the WD disk utility to prepare the drive, and the xp, went on without a problem.
I am sure one of you guys told me to do that, about a month ago, and i neglected to try that. I opoligise. I now have a spare brand new 160GB drive, looks like a job for ebay.
Thanks for the help.

keith-236785 13:11 03 Apr 05

Just for future reference, set your boot option to A: first, CDROM second & IDE (c: drive) third

then whatever media is put in will try to boot before the hard drive.

i think that is where the main problem was, your system was not running from cdrom after the first reboot during the install.

with cdrom as second, if a cdrom is in the drive it will say press any key to boot from cd, if you dont press a key then it will carry on to boot from hard drive.

DieSse 13:58 03 Apr 05

" paperman27 - i think that is where the main problem was, your system was not running from cdrom after the first reboot during the install"

It's not supposed to run from the CD on the reboot - only on the initial boot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant