Unable to install Belkin PCI USB 2 card

chas2 20:23 01 Jan 05

Running windows XP Pro. Nvidia NF24-ALH Motherboard
After fitting Belkin (Nec) PCI USB2 card - Computer starts OK but as Found New Hardware message appears the computer hangs.
I've tried disabling Norton Anti-Virus 2002 from the system tray, but on restart the Norton AV kicks in again and the computer hangs.
I didn't want the hassle of removing Norton by the Add/Remove program the having to reinstall Norton and all the updates.
Any Advice ! Chas2

Peter 20:35 01 Jan 05

On earlier versions of Windows (Win 98, 98SE, ME, etc) you could use MSCONFIG to stop programmes starting up when the PC is rebooted. It is just a tick (or untick) the box option which doesn't involve uninstalling the software and you can renable the software by reticking the box later. I don't know if Windows XP uses MSCONFIG or something similar, but somone else will.

Sapins 20:36 01 Jan 05

XP does use msconfig.

tarkus 20:39 01 Jan 05

if i'm not mistaken you should install the software provided 1st then turn off pc install pci card and then reboot. states this in the Belkin installation manual

Giggle n' Bits 20:40 01 Jan 05

also make sure the card is pushed firmly into the slot covering the Gold pins on the PCI card.

I stress push firm not bend to force it or crack it.

I would then check you have the latest Chipset drivers for your motherboard.

freaky 20:45 01 Jan 05

I have 2 Belkin USB(2) PCI Cards on my system, and have not had the problem you mention. I know this is no consolation, but have you followed the install instructions exactly as supplied with the card?

If that is the case, then you could try removing the card, then refit it again. I have sometimes found that when adding cards the connectors don't always make a good connection the first time.

chas2 18:27 02 Jan 05

Thanks guys - you'r all Players.
As a trained mechanical engineer - reading instruction does not come easy ! Taken your advice tarkus - and all is well

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…