UNABLE TO INSTALL 3RD PARTY SOFTWARE ON WIN 7 PC

rotormota 18:32 06 Jan 12

Hi,

Currently I am unable to install any software on my HP Pavilion Win 7 DT PC. The machine is only a few months old & I have installed software since buying it without problems but I don't know exactly when this issue began.

Installation is not possible from CD/DVD, external hard drives, USB sticks or as tried today, from downloads.

Windows explorer sees the software program & all the files required for installation either on a disc, drive etc.. Autorun does not work at all despite the necessary boxes being checked in Control Panel so a manual click on the appropriate autorun or setup.exe files to begin the install process is the only option. Thereafter the green installation progress bar will display extremely slow movement & then freeze at some point or there will be no activity at all. In both cases usually a Task Manager/end process is needed to clear any remaining installation windows.

The PC is totally up to date with Service Packs. I understand the problem may be the Windows Installer (or not). Can anyone help?

Many thanks. J

rawprawn 19:47 06 Jan 12

Can you use System Restore to a position before the bad installations?

rawprawn 19:48 06 Jan 12

PS. Do it from Safe Mode if this is an option for you.

isca2 19:51 06 Jan 12
  rawprawn 19:56 06 Jan 12

rotomota Please excuse me, I misread your post. For some reason I thought you had said "Uninstall" My apologies.

Terry Brown 20:11 06 Jan 12

I still use XP (more reliable), however I suggest 3 possibilities

1-- Is the Hard drive nearly full or badly fragmented 2--Are you in Administrator mode. 3-- You have an install 'stuck' in the system which is causing the problem by not allowing other downloads to run.

I do not know enough about window 7 to offer solutions, over to other readers

Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now