unable to get microsoft critical updates

mesmd 10:39 26 Jan 05

Hi,
I have a win xp 2.4 ghz cpu with 512 ram and 2 80 gb. hds.
Even though I have not installed sp2 as yet, I had been able to periodically update my windows crucial update patches, following the microsoft's review of my system. Two days ago upon going to the update site, my system was evaluated for current crucial updates. There were 8 patches found to be downloaded and installed. I chose to get them all and the download stopped and said, it could not download these on my system, one or all?? No explanation was given. I used to get the critical updates 2 weks ago without any problems. Is this because I still have not upgraded to SP2? What other reasons are there for not giving me these downloads?
THank you,
Miles

TomG 10:48 26 Jan 05

I had a similar problem but this was with sp2 installed.

Try opening IE click on tools>advanced and click the reset defaults button then click apply>ok and restart IE.

You could also allow auto update - when I couldnn't access the website this still worked.

If these fail it could be that your profile is damaged - microsoft's solution is to delete the profile but you can imagine the chaos that causes! So just setup a new administrator account and just use that fow win updates.

ACOLYTE 10:53 26 Jan 05

Might just have been the MS site having trouble
have you tried again to get them.

mesmd 02:39 27 Jan 05

Thanks Tom G and Acolyte
Miles

FRANKMAC 02:49 27 Jan 05

Although this will not help you at the moment, it will effect many users in the future who are using pirated copies of Windows.
click here

mesmd 07:02 25 Sep 06

After trying many types of fixes to the critical update issue, I was told that my system update folder in %systemroot% was corrupted. I just renamed the folder systemupdatefolder.old after shutting off update services. Then I turned the update services back on and rebooted. Win XP generated a new uncorrupt SYSTEMUPDATEFOLDER and I was then able to receive critical updates again!!

Miles

Stuartli 09:22 25 Sep 06

>>it will effect many users in the future>>

It's been affecting "many users" from early this year...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…