unable to get dual channel memory activated

fredo3 12:41 11 Sep 03

HI, I've Just built myself a p4 system using a gigabyte p4 titan series motherboard. The system is running smoothly but I just cant get dual channel activated on my memory sticks. I've followed instructions carefully regarding which slots to plug both my sticks into but only single channel is being displayed on startup.
I have 1gb of memory (2x512) and it does say in the instructions to use the same size and type.
The sticks weren't purchased at the same time so I'm thinking they might not be compatible in dual channel if made by different manufacturers but then again surely they wouldnt work together in single if this was the case...any thoughts please?......thanks in advance

Jester2K II 14:07 11 Sep 03

I think they need to be "matched" (same make, etc) Ideally you would buy them at the same time as a pair.

Jester2K II 14:08 11 Sep 03

If indeed you have a dual-channel platform and you want to take advantage of the performance gain it offers, our advice is to opt for high quality and service over expensive packaging, and simply purchase your DDR memory in pairs. However, be very careful to order two modules with the exact same specifications; the modules must be identical to each other to perform correctly."

Thank you Crucial for that clarification.

Jester2K II 14:14 11 Sep 03

Single might be OK - its hit and miss if different manufacturers RAM works with another, BUT for Dual Channel they MUST be matched - IDENTICAL.

fredo3 15:04 11 Sep 03

ok cheers guys

gra80 17:09 31 Oct 04

I have just built a new pc using MSI K7N2 DELTA-L motherboard (AMD Athlon XP 2600+) and used CRUCIAL`s WEBSITE RECOMMENDED MEMORY LIST and purchased Crucial CT3264Z40B.8TG2256MB DDR3200 NP CL3, 256mb x2, I have e-mailed Crucial as THIS MEMORY DOES NOT WORK IN DUAL CHANNEL MODE on standard settings.

So I am stuck and have wasted my money as it is probable that the retailer would not accept the memory back as it works in single channel.

Graham

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…