Unable to format new hard drive

greenkeen 11:57 09 Jul 03

I have fitted a new hard drive in addition to my existing one.I am running windows xp pro.
It is attached to a PCI ATA controller card which identifies it with no trouble.The new drive is listed in device manager but not in disc manager and I am unable to format and partition it. Windows help!! was of no use.
Any ideas recieved with thanks.

Squall 11:59 09 Jul 03

Go into computer managment and then right click disk management and select rescan disks, see if that picks it up

-pops- 12:06 09 Jul 03

Try installing the drive on the position 1 of the controller card. I've a feeling that they may not work properly if you have anything installed without having the first position filled (equivalent to IDE 0 I suppose).

Certainly I found on my setup that the second controller would not show up in XP unless the first one had at least one of its connections in use.

Bit garbled but I hope you understand.

Legolas 12:10 09 Jul 03

Have you tried formatting it using Fdisk. Start your computer with an ME or 98 Boot up disk and when you get to the 'a' prompt type fdisk and follow the instructions click here

greenkeen 13:04 09 Jul 03

rescan in disc manager did not help.
Will try swaping cables tonight as unfortunatley I have to work!! Thanks for the ideas.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…