unable to format drive

Sean.f 10:39 26 Nov 08

Further to my last post regards the ntoskrnl.exe missing, I am now unable to format the drive, I get a messsage saying windows was unable to complete the format as soon as I select form at drive, and it also has 19 gig of files that I am unable to delete. I there any commands to format drive before windows loads?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:11 26 Nov 08

You cannot format the drive windows is installed on from inside windows.

To format the drive boot with the windows CD run setup and choose the option to format the partition and install windows.

Belatucadrus 11:15 26 Nov 08

First off, it's a really bad idea to add subsidiary posts. Many of the people who were helping in the first will lose track of you and new viewers will not know what the problem was or what you've tried to address it.
Best practice is to start afresh and give all details, ie operating system, make of PC and what if any reset/windows disks you've got. From the sound of things you're trying to get windows to reformat itself and the C drive or wherever it's installed. This can't happen as you're effectively instructing it to erase itself then start again. What advice to give will depend on what disks you've got.

Sean.f 11:36 26 Nov 08

I know that windows can't reformat itself, it was the drive i had vista on before, I have since swapped my spare 120 gig drive with my daughters 300 gig or so drive unlucky for her. A had installed vista on the 300 gig and my second 120 gig was is going to be used for xp so i then have the choice , but for some reason xp will not install so, I started vista the c: drive and formated the d:drive but it will not format

Terry Brown 12:55 26 Nov 08

If you cannot format your hard drive, using the windows CD, you will need to run a DOS format system.
Do you have a Floppy Drive on your computer ?, if so, I can send you down the dos software (winme -Fdisk) to format your system (click yellow box for my email), if you do not have a floppy drive, I can send it down in ISO format, which you can burn to a CD.
Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…