Unable To Find Wireless Network

Mattystein 04:52 27 Jun 06

Hi,

Recently I got a Netcomm NB1300PLUS4 WIRELESS router with a new ADSL connection. The router is conected to a desktop PC via Ethernet, and then the remaining computers in the house use the wireless.

Currently there are 2 laptops and another desktop PC that are able to connect using the wireless. However, recently, as in 1 day ago, I bought a new laptop (Compaq Presario V5000, Broadcom 802.11b/g wireless) and it simply cannot find the wireless network when trying to view available networks. I know it should find it as I have my laptop (which I'm currently online posting this message with) and a friends laptop both connected within 30cm of the new laptop that ust doesn't want to find the network.

Any help as to why this would be happening would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

mgmcc 08:10 27 Jun 06

Silly question, but your router isn't set to a channel number that the new laptop might not support, such as 13?

Mattystein 13:04 25 Jul 06

I have been fiddling with the Compaq Presario V5000 for many many days now and am stumped.

The thing is that when I scan for wireless networks on the V5000 it will show other wireless networks in range, just not our home one. I have changed the channels of the home network to many alternatives to no avail. In fact, I drove around Wollongong the other day and found hundreds of networks, why won't it pick up my home one??? :(

It's even stranger because I have 5 other computers in the house without this issue, they all scan and find the network instantly.

I have downloaded NetStumbler (Network Stumbler) and fiddled with that, it doesn't pick up the home network at all, just two random ones that are in the nearby houses.

Man I really need some help on this one, I don't have a Windows disc so I don't want to erase everything and start from scratch.

HELP ME!

Thanks in advance.

ade.h 15:54 25 Jul 06

Thanks for taking a whole month to respond to your own thread. Could you find the answer to mgmcc's question?

irishrapter 19:37 25 Jul 06

You could try to manually setup the wireless connection.

Depending on if you use windows own wireless software or Broadcoms, set the SSID for your network and any encryption (if any, and there should be!) on the problem computer and see if it can connect.

xllien 12:37 06 Aug 06

i had the same problem with my acer 5025wlmi but now its solved thanx to mgmcc`s post:)))i just tried all the other channels till i finaly found my home wireless network since auto channeling was on and set to 13...thanx dude very much:)

vcp 13:35 19 Aug 06

I felt I had to provide a response to mgmcc's words of wisdom - Very well done!!! I had the same problem, and thanks to mgmcc, I was able to fix my problem ASAP (after 5 late nights trying to connect my new laptop to my wireless network)! I changed the channel to 11, and all is working fine. I looked everywhere on the 'net looking for an answer, and (luckily) I stumbled on this site.
To mgmcc - you're a legend!! thanks heaps for your insite and technical know-how!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…