"Unable to establish a connection"

southpaw 15:03 07 Jan 06

Hi

I've got a problem with a friends pc and connecting to the web.

I guess its something simple?

It dials up and tries to verify username and password but then comes back with "unable to establish a connection"

Any ideas? Its Windows 98, Pentium 2 and using Zoom internet providor.

Thanks in advance.

Diodorus Siculus 15:17 07 Jan 06

ensure that the password and username are correct.

Diodorus Siculus 15:19 07 Jan 06

Sorry, lost half the above posting. Here we go again:

Has it ever connected to the net. What you report suggests that modem is installed correctly so that should be fine.

Double check with Zoom for the settings: format of username, password, capitals etc.

Then double check to ensure that the password and username are corrected.

palinka 15:25 07 Jan 06

Also check that you haven't typed a comma instead of a full stop. And if it is all correct, you MAY find that on another day all is well - it's possible tht the ISP was having a bad day when you tried to connect.

southpaw 15:26 07 Jan 06

Hi

Yes it has previously in the past. Although we did lose the modem driver.

We have now re-installed that just this "unable to connect" is the problem now?

southpaw 16:55 07 Jan 06

I've tried re-installing with the internet wizard but it still cannot establish a connection!

southpaw 17:00 07 Jan 06

I've had a look in modem diagnostics, more info and have found Command ATI2 Response ERROR.

What can i do?

961 17:10 07 Jan 06

You need to establish that you have the correct drivers for your modem and also that there are no conflicts with other hardware. You can probably obtain drivers on the net if you establish the model of modem

Check in device manager to see that modem is properly listed and has no warnings against it or conflicts

Ensure password and user name together with dial up number are all correct and then try again are correct

If all else fails you can buy a new internal modem with drivers cd for around £10. Uninstall the existing and drivers and start again. This may well be easier

southpaw 17:16 07 Jan 06

Hi

Its a laptop.

Had problems getting a driver for it in the first place

click here

southpaw 17:35 07 Jan 06

What is this AT2 Error?

woodchip 17:39 07 Jan 06

check that bt as not set call waiting on the line as that will do the above.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…