Unable to enter CMOS

Jeremy-285331 10:04 12 Dec 06

On booting the PC, running WinXP Home, the PC fails to respond to hitting the DEL key to enter Setup, but other than that boots normally. I've checked the Del key and its fine, and the keyboard works OK. Any ideas?

Technotiger 10:07 12 Dec 06

Hi, does your boot-up screen say to press Del to enter the BIOS, sometimes it works with F2.

Jeremy-285331 10:12 12 Dec 06

Yes it says hit DEL to enter setup and thats what has always worked in the past. This is a new and sudden development.

Technotiger 10:33 12 Dec 06

Hmmm, I have to go out now, but I will look back later to see how you are getting on.

keith-236785 10:52 12 Dec 06

try pressing DEL then ENTER, ECS boards require the enter key to be pressed after DEL or F2, quirky difference but something that is easily missed.

you need to be pretty quick too, i think its some sort of double check to ensure you actually do need/want to enter the bios.

good luck

Technotiger 13:18 12 Dec 06

Hi, not resolved yet I see - try holding down the Del key, and keep it held down, *before* you Press the button to start-up.

Technotiger 13:20 12 Dec 06

Also, why do you want to go into the BIOS anyway?
Do you have some sort of problem? other than not being able to get into the BIOS:-(

Jeremy-285331 17:41 12 Dec 06

Thanks guys but none of that helps/works. I'm trying to work out if there are problems with this system board and this is one of the issues. The system periodically crashes for no apparent reason and Windows was only re-installed on it about 6 months ago after crashing terminally then.

T0SH 17:58 12 Dec 06

Have you recently changed to a USB keyboard ? if so get a USB to PS2 adaptor, or borrow a PS2 keyboard

Unless yor BIOS has USB legacy support options and this is turned on by default you will be unable to enter BIOS setup

Cheers HC

Technotiger 11:10 13 Dec 06

Me again - how about running RegScrub then, but don't be surprised if RegScrub finds hundreds of problems, just let it Fix them all.

click here

I suggest this because your problem might not be hardware related, but a software fault instead.

Jeremy-285331 11:39 13 Dec 06

Thanks. I'll try that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple