Unable to download I E 5.5

StellaArtois63 14:30 17 Sep 03

For some reason when I am loading I E 5.5 it suddenly stops and says, Set up was unable to d/load required components. Make sure your connected to the net or try again later. I know I am connected to the net because I am on b/band.I have d/loaded this from Windows and sites like Download and Shareware to no avail.
I do not want to use IE6 because when I d/loaded it before I had to reformat the hard drive because NTL said apparently ie 6 was not compatible to there software. I am currently running windows 98se and the way this computor is playing up lately will be going through my bedroom window.I would appreciate any help offered Thanks Ade

john-232317 14:35 17 Sep 03

See if you can get it off a mag cover cd, it maybe easier to install.

Jester2K II 14:55 17 Sep 03

IE 5.5 is no longer avalible.

Use IE6 instead.

Jester2K II 14:57 17 Sep 03

"when I d/loaded it before I had to reformat the hard drive because NTL said apparently ie 6 was not compatible to there software"

Poppycock!!!! I've installed IE6 on dozens of Win98SE machines - no problem.

Similar thread here two days ago said the same.

Jester2K II 14:59 17 Sep 03

From NTL

"Try Not to use Internet Explorer 6.0 on Windows 98 or ME, as it designed for XP/2000 and has several known issue's with 98/ME. In fact NTL will not support any browser related problems you are having if you have 6.0 on 98 etc because of the known causes. Stick to 5.5 it will make little difference, or you could use another browser such as opera or netscape."

click here

"as it designed for XP/2000 " - tell that to MS then. They say it works with Me and 98 OK.

StellaArtois63 15:12 17 Sep 03

Having already had to reformat after d/loading IE6 clashing with NTL I am very reluctant to try again.I don't doubt you, but you can understand how I feel having had problems, after installing it.

Jester2K II 15:14 17 Sep 03

Fair enough.

You won't be able to download it though. You'll need to find and old cover disk or a website that has archived the old version.

I looked a coupe of days ago but was unsuccessful then. I'll have a look now.

Jester2K II 15:18 17 Sep 03

The following Link will download a 75Mb ZIP file containing IE5.5 SP2 click here

from click here

Download and use at your own risk.

Scan the file with a virus scanner first. click here AVG Freeee Edition is your don't already have one.

Jester2K II 15:19 17 Sep 03

More browsers than you could ever use...

click here

alcudia 15:22 17 Sep 03

As far as I know there are no issues. I've had IE6 working fine with 98 and ME.

This is probably a cop out by NTL because of their shortcomings.

StellaArtois63 16:03 17 Sep 03

Thanks for all your help. I will try d/loading the file that Jester2K II sent me for IE 5.5 and I will let you know how I got on. If you dont hear from me for a while you will know it didnt work lol

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…