Unable to download + cannot remove Zone Lab

lindibird 21:52 09 Sep 05

My daughter's XP home pc is acting strangely. First of all the internet connection was lost, followed by the recycle bin icon moving to the l/h corner of the desktop and staying there. Then the Z/lab firewall icon vanished from the system tray and finally avg resident shield & email scanner became non functional.We attempted to uninstall Z/Lab but are unable to do so no matter which route we take but succeeded with avg. The intention being to reinstall both and start afresh. We have successfully reconnected to the Internet and all is ok except that it will not allow a download from the necessary web sites ( but strangely allows a windows update download ) so we are left without firewall or a/virus cover. Scans with avg,A/aware,Spybot all ok. Please has anyone any constructive suggestions.

VoG II 21:57 09 Sep 05

"it will not allow a download from the necessary web sites"

What actually happens?

Is this Windows XP?

VoG II 21:58 09 Sep 05

Sorry, it is XP.

lindibird 22:14 09 Sep 05

A download box appears showing the transfer of paper files but there is no download speed or time shown and no blue marker transfer rate indicator activity. It continues like this for a couple of minutes and then a box appears saying it is unable to complete ( tried this on several other sites with same result. The download I did on the Windows update completed 100% ok. I also missed out another gremlin. On the k/b the @ and " have changed keys.

VoG II 22:24 09 Sep 05

Control Panel, Regional and language options and set everything to English (United Kingdom) to fix the @/" problem.

Will this download? You don't need it, just a test click here

lindibird 22:42 09 Sep 05

Sorry I forgot to mention that I am raising the issue from my own pc and will not be able to try any practical issues until tomorrow. ( daughter lives some distance away ) Can I come back to you please I really appreciate your help?

VoG II 23:02 09 Sep 05

No problem - I spend far too much time on here but mainly in the Helproom. If you need to wake me up, click my yellow envelope.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…