unable to do system restore

krsna 10:47 21 Jun 06

I have an HP media centre xp pc and I was trying to speed up the pc boot up but somehow I have made it worse and generally slowed down the pc. So I tried to do a system restore to get back to normal but although the pc goes through the motions of a system restore at the end after a reststart it says it was unable to complete a system restore and no changes to the pc have been made. I have tried seval different restore points all doing the same. Any suggestions please.

menorcarob2 10:56 21 Jun 06

what did you do to try and speed it up

rawprawn 11:12 21 Jun 06

click here
If you have no luck Repair windows

krsna 11:34 21 Jun 06

First I unticked 3 unnecessary programs in start up using msconfig. After doing this on start up before the windows xp page I get a black screen page for about 3 secs saying “choose which operating system do you want to use” there is a choice of either xp or system recovery, but before I can do anything the Welcome page comes on. Is there a way I can get rid of this new extra page?

Second I would like to do the window repair that rawprawn suggests, but I have a restoration/recovery disk which contains XP, can I use that to repair xp leaving all applications intact? Also the HP pc does a partion on the hard drive and has a d drive which contains the recovery software can that be used?

krsna 12:46 21 Jun 06

rawprawn: can i use a recovery disk to repair windows using the link that you gave , without lossing other programs on the pc.

menorcarob2 12:56 21 Jun 06

if the problem was caused by unticking things go back and retick them

menorcarob2 12:57 21 Jun 06

sorry use normal startup in msconfig

krsna 13:01 21 Jun 06

I have tried that menorcarob2 but it made no difference.

rawprawn 13:32 21 Jun 06

You should be able to use your recovery disc, print out the instructions before you start

rawprawn 13:34 21 Jun 06

Before you try repair, go to Start/Run type sfc /scannow (watch the space between sfc ans/) when it asks for your disc put your recovrery disc in the drive and click Ok. Just worth trying!

krsna 12:17 23 Jun 06

rawprawn; I tried sfc /scannow and it wanted me to insert cd2 of xp, I tried my recovery disk and it said wrong cd. i managed to get an xp pro disc and put that in, but still wrong cd message comes up.

I then tried to do a recovery with my recovery disk but at one stage it says that the repair process will not delete data but will lose other applications. Is there a way to repair xp without affecting any data & other already installed programs ( using recovery disk?)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…