Unable to delete MS Live onecare backup

Cmdr Vimes 14:01 28 Jul 10

Hi

I was wondering if you could help. I've just switched to Macrium from ms live onecare (expired subsciption/support/product). I usually backup to an external hard drive.

I've trying to do the first macrium backup and of course its a big one. It stopped as there wasn't enough space on the drive. So I thought I would free up the space and delete the onecare backup folder which is very large. That would be fine apart from the fact that it won't let me do it. I followed instructions from the ms website which told me to turn it into a shared file. I did that and it still won't delete. In fact, it tells me the folder is empty, even before I attempted a deletion. Checking the capacity of the external drive indicates that the onecare file can't be empty.

If I try to delete it tells me:

"...Access denied. Make sure the disc is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use."

I am also denied access to the file itself if I try to open it.

Any suggestions? I'm running xp home.

Thanks

dastardly mutt 14:38 28 Jul 10

Start up in Safe Mode. You should be able to delete the file.

northumbria61 15:22 28 Jul 10

Try this - click here

Cmdr Vimes 17:15 28 Jul 10

Thank you, but I've already deleted live onecare. Its the wretched backfiles I can't delete from my external drive.

Cmdr Vimes 18:22 28 Jul 10

I started up in safe mode. But just exactly the same thing. Oddly, if I hoover over both the macrium and onecare backup folders it tells me they are empty. If I check the external drive itself it tells me I'v only 61Gb left out of 300Gb. That can't be right at all.

Anybody with any further ideas?

northumbria61 22:14 28 Jul 10

Download "Revo Uninstaller" and give it a try - it may just clear things out for you. - click here

northumbria61 22:16 28 Jul 10

Maybe if you can change the name of the folders (even if they show they are empty) to something completely different you may be able to delete them.

dastardly mutt 03:40 29 Jul 10

You could plug the external HD to another PC / Laptop and try to delete the backup folder.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…