unable to delete index.dat file

cooked cow 20:12 30 Apr 03

hi, can anyone help with a not so serious problem
but more annoying one.An index.dat file as some how got into a couple of folders,one in the "cookies" folder which i can open and delete data from (internet data)but can't delete file.
the other is in the internet explorer folder,which is to large for notepad to open so wordpad try's to open it but can't because "another app is using it".i've copied it to floppy and opened it there and it's more internet data.the file is getting larger and i would like to empty it,i've tried sure delete but
that wont clear it,sorry for the long post but any help would be great.
thanks.

spikeychris 20:17 30 Apr 03

You can't delete the index.dat files whilst in windows. When you do delete it, it will rebuild itself at the next boot up.

Chris

spikeychris 20:22 30 Apr 03

I haven't written how to delete...what operating system are you using? There are third party software programs that will do the job but a batch file works just as well..

Chris

cooked cow 20:34 30 Apr 03

hi i'm using win98 4.10
it's not a great hassle but would like to know how they got there and how to clear them
thanks

spikeychris 20:43 30 Apr 03

click here and download spider. It will clear all your index.dat entries. Post back if you want the batch file (old fashioned but good fun)

Chris

cooked cow 21:01 30 Apr 03

thanks for the help

Taw 21:34 30 Apr 03

Can I be really new and ask what an index.dat file is and does???

pj123 21:59 30 Apr 03

You cannot delete the index.dat completely, but you can reset it back to its minimum size, which in cookies is 16k and in temporary internet files it is 32k.

I have written a batch file which is easy to use and will do this for you. It will also delete all your cookies and all your "temp" files and all your temporary internet files. If you would like a copy please let me know.
Every time you log on to the internet the index.dat file will increase in size. I usually leave mine as they are until they reach about 3.5 to 4mb and then I reset them. The consequences are that if you have registered on any internet sites (like PCA Forum) you will lose any "remember me" type details and will have to retype them back in again, until the next time you reset the index.dat files.

VoG™ 22:10 30 Apr 03

This will do it also click here

cooked cow 19:17 01 May 03

thanks everyone for the help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac