unable to delete folder with corrupt files

hssutton 19 Sep 12
Answered

I was using Acronis to copy one drive to another, after several minutes Acronis stopped with the message unable to copy drive, or words to that effect.

I now see that one folder was corrupted during this process, I'm now unable to delete this folder. I have since transfered all the folders bar this corrupt one, but every time I attempt to delete/copy this folder the pc freezes. Running W7.

Advice please on way to proceed.

Peter 19 Sep 12

hssutton,

You could try pressing the Shift key when trying to delete the folder. This can work as it stops Windows putting the folder into the Recycle Bin.

Peter.

hssutton 19 Sep 12

Unable to try your suggestion as when I tried to open the drive in question my pc froze. Unable to restart with that drive connected. Will attempt to delete by connecting the drive via USB

D@ve 19 Sep 12

If you still have no success then try formatting the drive (I assume you have no data on there that isn't already on your PC's main hard drive?)

hssutton 19 Sep 12
Answer

Connecting the drive via USB allowed me to uninstall the offending file. So all is ok now.

many thanks.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

Microsoft claims its new VR lens system is better than Oculus Rift's

Apple Music preview: Why Spotify should be scared of Apple's impressive new music-streaming service

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message