unable to connect to router

lignum vitae 13:01 03 Mar 10

I have just purchased a samsung n110 netbook and I am trying to connect it to my Netgear DG834GT router with very little success.I get the response the netbook has detected the router and the signal is strong but limited or no connectivity. i am quite new to this so i would be delighted if you kept it very simple.
I dont know if this helps but when I did IPCONFIG i got the following
ipaddress 192.168.0.2
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default gateway 192.168.0.1
Thanks in advance for any help

mgmcc 13:34 03 Mar 10

"Limited or No Connectivity" usually indicates that the network adapter hasn't connected properly to the router to get its correct IP address. Windows then defaults to allocating a "169.254" address with limited connectivity.

HOWEVER, you do have a valid IP address of 192.168.0.2 so where are you seeing the reference to Limited or No Connectivity?

lignum vitae 16:43 03 Mar 10

I see the reference to no connectivity on the samsung when I try to connect.

lignum vitae 17:45 03 Mar 10

sorry mgmcc I think I have been very silly I gave you the reading from my pc.
It should have been auto config ip address 169.254.115.152
submask 255.255.0.0
default gateway........shows nothing

mgmcc 20:00 03 Mar 10

I assume the Netbook is running Windows XP? If so, try this:

Open the Services window ("Start > Run", type SERVICES.MSC and click OK), scroll down to the Wireless Zero Configuration entry and double-click it to open its Properties sheet. Make sure the service is "Started" and that its Startup Type is set to "Automatic".

Now go into the Network Connections folder ("Start > Run", type NCPA.CPL and click OK), right click the Wireless Network Connection and select View Available Wireless Networks. Select the one whose SSID (network name) matches that of your router and click the "Connect" button. If the network is secured with WEP or WPA encryption, you'll be prompted to enter the 'key' and should then be connected.

lignum vitae 09:26 04 Mar 10

I got as far as view available wireless networks andI got the following response....Windows cannot config this wireless connection.
if you have enabled another programme to manage this software use that software.
Thanks very much mgmcc for your help with this.

mgmcc 11:36 04 Mar 10

OK, go back into the Network Connections folder, right click the Wireless Network Connection and select Properties, then click the Wireless Networks tab. Tick the box "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings", then click the button "View Wireless Networks".

[Note that the Wireless Networks tab is only available in the Properties of the Wireless Network Connection if the Wireless Zero Configuration service is running.]

lignum vitae 07:00 05 Mar 10

I have done that but still no connection.It still says limited or no connectivity

mgmcc 08:18 05 Mar 10

Again, go into the Network Connections folder, right click the Wireless Network Connection and select Properties, then click the Wireless Networks tab.

In the list of networks in the lower part of the window, highlight each entry and delete it. Then go through the procedure to "Connect" again - click the button "View Wireless Networks", select the one whose SSID (network name) matches that of your router and click the "Connect" button.

lignum vitae 17:02 06 Mar 10

Thanks for your help mgmcc but still not getting anywhere. I am thinking I should change my router what do you think.

mgmcc 17:42 06 Mar 10

I think it is unlikely to be a problem with the router. Have a look at this page to see if it helps click here although your Netbook will probably have SP3 installed which I would expect to have resolved the issues covered.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…