Unable to connect to Network

jessej 10:29 11 Nov 06

Please also see my last post on 30/10/06.

Still cannot get the laptop to connect. Took it back to Woolworth's, told they couldn't do anything as my daughter had had it for more than 28 days, though it has a 1 year warranty.
After a lot of trying eventually got through to Medion Tech Support. After trying numerous things I was told to type in ipconfig, back came Media Disconnected. With that told it was a fault with the Netgear Router. Netgear, however, surprise, surprise, said no it's not, it's a fault with the laptop.
So where do we go from here, short of calling in our local, friendly, computer man, who we can't afford?

mgmcc 13:03 11 Nov 06

First of all, connect the laptop by ethernet cable to the router - for the moment, forget about "wireless" connections.

Open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run", type cmd and click OK) then, at the prompt, type...

ipconfig /all

...and press Enter. This will show details of all networking adapters installed in the PC. Right click in the Command Prompt window, "Select All" and press Enter to copy the details to the clipboard. Paste the details into a forum reply here.

jessej 14:43 12 Nov 06

Many thanks mgmcc.

About to set things up to do as you said this morning and, very strange, switched on Laptop first, or rather daughter did not realising I didn't want it on until the cables plugged, and it connected immediately. Exactly as before the problem started, signal strength excellent.

Unless you think I should continue with what you said, in which case I will get on and do it, it looks as though the problem has cured itself and maybe best to leave alone.

Should it happen again then I will get back to the forum.

Thanks again.

mgmcc 15:47 12 Nov 06

If it is now working, leave well alone ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now