Unable to connect to net with IE6, OE or MSN

bremner 13:27 09 Nov 03

My daughter was sent a program called My Web Searches (or similar) which added a toolbar to IE6. Since then she cannot get IE6, OE or MSN Messenger to make a connection. She has W98 as her OS. I have done a repair to IE6 but this made no difference.

Her machine is connected to a wireless router connected to a cable modem. It is one of three machines on the network and non of the others has a problem. I can still see the shared files on her machine from mine and she can print on the printer connected to my machine. ie there is not a problem with the network connections.

Is it likely she has a virus...although AVG6 reports not.

Thanks

VoG II 13:32 09 Nov 03

click here may help.

critic-al 13:32 09 Nov 03

if you put your floppy boot disk in then reboot the pc and when the A:\> appears type without quotes."scanreg /restore " (Not forgetting the space between scanreg and /)then select a restore point before the problem.

bremner 13:34 09 Nov 03

Thanks for the link.

I had used Add/Remove to remove both entries relating to the program and that did not fix the problem.

bremner 13:35 09 Nov 03

Will give it a try.. thanks.

critic-al 13:36 09 Nov 03

another way is to ..click here

bremner 13:44 09 Nov 03

Restored as suggested - unfortunately no difference.

john-232317 15:40 09 Nov 03

I think it is part of this group click here

Email smilies etc.

I have smily central on mine, win 98, bb router, single computer but no probs with access to net, before or after download.

Connection to router settings problem ?

bremner 16:05 09 Nov 03

I have checked the router and on her machine the router is seen and is showing internet connection 'OK'

This seems to be a problem with this machine and it can not be coincidental that it occurred imediately after installing this "mywebsearch" add on.

john-232317 16:16 09 Nov 03

Why not reinstall IE ,OE and MSN messenger, her settings should stay ok.

bremner 16:57 09 Nov 03

Have tried to re install IE6 but it fails to load.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…