Unable To Connect To Internet

Tinker Bell 15:13 24 Aug 08

Hi

Anyone give me advice please, I'm unable to connect to the internet on my desktop, it keeps coming up renewing IP, I am connected to the internet on my laptop.

I've done the following, >right clicked on view network connections, it's open a new window stating choose a network connect, there are 3 to choose from, one being mine, the other two I don't recognise, ā€œNetgear77 & sawyers, when I select mine then I press connect, but it just keeps saying unable to connect.

Any advice please

ambra4 15:32 24 Aug 08

How far is the desktop from the wireless router?

Can you connect to the Internet via an Ethernet cable connected to the Lan card on the computer?

Tinker Bell 15:39 24 Aug 08

Hi

The desktop is about 10 feet away from the router, as for connect via the earthnet cable, I don't know what you mean sorry I am connect to the internet on my laptop tho, so it must be something to do with the security on thee desktop, it keeps asking me for the "connection Key" is this the password I entered when my security was installed?

ambra4 15:44 24 Aug 08

YES just enter the password

Also please note the following

With a hard wire system the LAN card connect speed at 100Mbps,

The wireless system connect speed at 54Mbps it would be better if you connect the desktop via the Lan card

It is strongly recommended by All router suppliers that you use a physically connected cable
to the Router via a Ethernet RJ45 cable for router set-up.

Using a wireless connected computer for set-up is Not recommended to access router set-up at any time

Tinker Bell 15:47 24 Aug 08

OK, I've entered my password and it just keeps disconecting, this is a belkin & linkys which was set up by "Comet" back in 2006, I've never had a problem with it until I switched it on today.

ambra4 15:54 24 Aug 08

Seeing that the wireless router is next to the desktop all you need to do is connect an Ethernet cable

also called a RJ45 Ethernet Cable to port 1 on the router and to the Lan port on the computer

The port above the USB ports at the back of the computer this will give you a faster transfer speed

to the router and the Internet

You will have to check that the Lan card and network is set up correct to allow you access to the Internet

click here

Tinker Bell 15:56 24 Aug 08

Hey ambra

For some unknow reason I'm now connected on the desktop, I've spent 3 hours on it trying to get connected, suddenly I'm connected, this is very strange, I'm going to reboot and see what happens.

ambra4 15:58 24 Aug 08

Seeing that the wireless is working on the laptop check that the wireless card on the desktop is

Enable from inside the Network Connection Area

Start-Setting-Network Connection-Right click-Wireless Area Connection-Enable or Disable as required

Some times you have to Disable and Enable before the card will connect to the wireless system

ambra4 16:11 24 Aug 08

Never liked a wireless system for a desktop transfer speed to slow and can be a real pain at times to

connect to the broadband

Using a hard wire connected to the desktop will save you most of these minor problems and a faster

transfer speed and allow you to access the router if you need to do any fine adjustment to the router

and the broadband system

Tinker Bell 17:39 24 Aug 08

I called Belkin as they have a 24 hour support line, the agent tried a couple of thing, and thinks itmay be a problem with linksys, she's advised me to call them.

As far as computers go, apart from switching them on, I have very little idea or confidence in what I'm doing, if I can't resolve it, I'll have to call someone like comet out to repair it.

Thanks for the help you gave.

woodchip 17:43 24 Aug 08

The password you have to put in, is in the router settings its an Encryption KEY you will also need the SSID from Router Setup Page

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…